D. lobata females and their will to protect their young.

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
not really what I meant but they dont have feelings like love, happiness etc. Emotions is probably a better word for what I was trying to say
Oooh lol sorry about my paragraph in that case

edit** although now that I think about it, "fear" is kind of an emotion

Last edited by a moderator:
(Copied from Wiki) Though it has been argued that most invertebrates do not feel pain,[21][22][23] there is some evidence that invertebrates, especially the decapod crustaceans (e.g. crabs and lobsters) and cephalopods (e.g. octopuses), exhibit behavioural and physiological reactions indicating they may have the capacity for this experience.[5][6][24]Nociceptors have been found in nematodes, annelids and molluscs.[25] Most insects do not possess nociceptors,[26][27][28] one known exception being the fruit fly.[29] In vertebrates, endogenous opioids are neurochemicals that moderate pain by interacting with opiate receptors. Opioid peptides and opiate receptors occur naturally in nematodes,[30][31] molluscs,[32][33] insects[34][35] and crustaceans.[36][37] The presence of opioids in crustaceans has been interpreted as an indication that lobsters may be able to experience pain,[38] although it has been claimed "at present no certain conclusion can be drawn".[38]

One suggested reason for rejecting a pain experience in invertebrates is that invertebrate brains are too small. However, brain size does not necessarily equate to complexity of function.[39] Moreover, weight for body-weight, the cephalopod brain is in the same size bracket as the vertebrate brain, smaller than that of birds and mammals, but as big as or bigger than most fish brains.[40][41]
I think some invertebrates don't feel pain. Like if I beetle is to loose a leg, it doesn't really seem to care. But a mantid is different. Back when I was less experienced, when I first got into the mantid-owning, one of my mantid's legs was ready to fall off. I'd pulled on it, thinking it wouldn't hurt. But some guts came out of the leg (I wasn't exactly bright at the point) and the mantid struck me, then kept grabbing the remaining bit of leg and cleaning the end of it. She definitely felt it and it did not feel good. If you ask me, mantids are extremely sensitive. They feel miniscule bits of dust on their feet. If they can feel a piece of dust, they can feel pain.

Heterochaeta also guards her ooth until it dries.

She will stick by her ooth for a few days before venturing off. Ive seen this everytime with a large group in a large area

I think mantis, like all other creatures... You have ones that are extraordinary, that show traits ... that we tend to associate with our own traits.. emotions, fear, pain..

We also make decisions on thing that settle easy on our conscience, and sometime we take things... that just seem like we hope, it really is.. I don't think we will ever really know how insects think, feel, learn.. same with all the other creatures beyond human.. We can't even understand humans... so how can we think .. we know the answers for insects.. the main thing... I think is...that we enjoy the hobby..and give these guys the best life possible... try and make it as natural as we think it is, for them...and when they pass... know we did the best we could..

It is us ... who have chosen to remove them from their real life.. and keep them in containers for our amusement.

I just think... she seems... to not mind those babies at this time... tomorrow it may be another story.

I will get down off my soap box now... and hope I didn't over step.

I think mantis, like all other creatures... You have ones that are extraordinary, that show traits ... that we tend to associate with our own traits.. emotions, fear, pain..

We also make decisions on thing that settle easy on our conscience, and sometime we take things... that just seem like we hope, it really is.. I don't think we will ever really know how insects think, feel, learn.. same with all the other creatures beyond human.. We can't even understand humans... so how can we think .. we know the answers for insects.. the main thing... I think is...that we enjoy the hobby..and give these guys the best life possible... try and make it as natural as we think it is, for them...and when they pass... know we did the best we could..

It is us ... who have chosen to remove them from their real life.. and keep them in containers for our amusement.

I just think... she seems... to not mind those babies at this time... tomorrow it may be another story.

I will get down off my soap box now... and hope I didn't over step.
Its true that we will never really 100% KNOW. I think we all have our own interpretation of why they do this, or why they do that, or what this means, or what that means. There are SOME things you pick up on after years of having been around a certain creature. But like you said, we don't even understand humans 100%, I know I don't LOL. I might even understand other animals more then people. I agree that the most important thing is that we love them and treat them well and give them as natural a life as possible (maybe even a bit better than it'd be in the wild!). Lol I feel bad for my babies sometimes, knowing theyre trapped in containers, but then I also think, they're safer in them, than out in the wild where they could be eaten by birds and lizards. Or frozen once Winter comes along. Or starve to death. I want to try again with her and the nymphs, I'd like to put more than three on her, maybe some on the ground in front of her as well. You didn't over step, you are as welcome to your own opinion as anyone else. It's always good to get different ideas from everybody.

I think the sooner people stop with the whole oh its not sientificlly proven people will discover theirs more to these guys then what we may be able to prove.

My mantis waited until i got home. Wanted out,died in my hands. I mover my hands for a min and she franticlly reached out for my finger. She looked up at me till she died. It was the most touching and heart breaking moment i ever experinced. And if you dont know my mantis then nobody can tell me theirs no emotions. Ive seen it. But i also dont need to prove it to people to know its their.

Latest posts