Idolomantis Consolidated

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I pointed it out in a different thread, but the fern-like plants in the picture above (somewhere) are fantastic for L1 & L2. They just love it. About half are content to stay there and not just hang from the screen. They also like to wander around on it, and I suspect it will make a good molting surface. And it holds beads of water (briefly), but I haven't seen them drinking. Not sure I ever have, come to think of it. Hmmm....

Last edited by a moderator:
As for the nymph's drinking, I see mine drinking from there raptors when I mist, and sometimes they reach for sticks or leaves to take a drink, but I don't think they need to drink every day as the flies are juicy(-:

Here's something I've noticed.

All my current nymphs were born at the same time, traveled the same distance, and are kept in the conditions. But they've all had RADICAL different molting times. Almost a week's difference - 4 still haven't molted to L2. Temperature variance explained anout a 24 hours difference.

The remaining hold outs ARE all eatting, but aren't as aggressive, and are much pickier. They challenge a crawling ff trying to force it to fly. If it doesn't, they won't eat it. I also notice these 4 being much less commital with what they DO catch. A sibling at L2 will pick a BB out of mid air and struggle for 15 minutes before it gets the head bit off. His L1 sibling lets a tiny Hydei go if it struggles too much. One caught and let go a small lacewing 4 times, and finally gave up. Fascinating.

I'm going to watch to see if it's a behavior that sticks with them through each instar, and if there's any gender bias.

I just watched a female molt into an adult in only 35% humidity. A dangerous experiment but she got through it with no problems. She even picked a good spot in the enclosure. This suggests to me that giving them a chance to drink daily helps balance the danger of temporary drops in humidity.

Yeah, more and more, I'm thinking humdity is largely irrelevant for Idolos - particularly in later stages. Several reports of "bone dry" moltings. Looking at some of the crazy photos you guys have put up, with producing their own fluids and beads of sweat or whatever that was called, makes me think that a moisture rich diet may be a far more important factor. Or maybe just an environment that doesn't evaoprate their own mechanisms too quickly.

Thanks for the (risky) experiment, and for posting it.

Observation without a conclusion:

Three of my Idolo L1 nymphs were trailing 2 weeks behind their now-L2 hatch-mates.

All three seems to have less interest in eatting than the others. One finally molted today. Another one died. The one that died is the intersting story.

This nymph ("Jack" the Ripper) would stalk and follow prey, but would only eat their heads off. He never ate past the time they stopped resisting. His belly stayed full (even after death), but this feeding behavior was very curious. No prey items were found living in the container after death.

Any thoughts...?

I think the heads are the "sweet spot" I've had many just eat the heads and disregaurd the rest, I'm like "Hey you pick that up and eat it"! :lol:

This is the main reason I don't give the L1-L2 BB's yet, as there would be a clutter of half ate bodies on the bottom of the tank in no time...

I would rather see them eat 2 houseflies than half of a Blue bottle, make sence?

Sounds like the Idolo equivalent of the picky kid who only eats bread with the crusts cut off.

Or possibly, if the abdomen looks full, it was only eating enough to top off what its belly could hold.

I don't suggest using BBS as steady feeders at L1. Makes more economic sense to fill them up with a single BB then feed smaller prey after so they will eat more consistently. I don't know if it matters in the long run, but I always fill my nymphs after a molt (or hatching) then try to maintain a full belly from there with maintenance feedings.

I've also seen mantids kill feeders just because they are annoyed by them.

I've also seen mantids kill feeders just because they are annoyed by them.
Yeah, I kinda thought that might be playing into it as well, although to consistently chase down and kill irritating house mates seems particularly psychotic.

And I don't do BB's until L3, unless I run out of HF's. Just not worth it.

Yeah, I kinda thought that might be playing into it as well, although to consistently chase down and kill irritating house mates seems particularly psychotic.
Maybe you had a serial killer on your hands.

Was he a loner? Was he the quiet type that just tries to blend in? Did he have 'mommy issues'? :D

He DID tend to hang out in the grassy knolls.

On a serious note, I started adding screen to 2 or 3 sides of the aquarium to help them climb to the top. I realize in later instars, this will be a problem, as they'll try to molt from it, but at these early instars, I think it's worth it. The one I HAVEN'T screened up yet has constantly got one or two nymphs struggling in the corner trying to hopelessly climb the sheer glass. :-(

Update:

No surprise, the 3rd one sort of fell asleep while molting. Trapped in skin and doing nothing. I pulled him out of his skin with tweezers (slipped right out), but he'd already given up the fight. Humidity was about 80%, and temp was about 75f. Alone in his private deli-cup, so no atmospheric explaination.

I'm beginning to think when they get that far behind, they're just genetic dead-ends. I'll keep an eye on the one that molted sucessfully and see if it's indicative of anything...

(stay tuned)

Update:

No surprise, the 3rd one sort of fell asleep while molting. Trapped in skin and doing nothing. I pulled him out of his skin with tweezers (slipped right out), but he'd already given up the fight. Humidity was about 80%, and temp was about 75f. Alone in his private deli-cup, so no atmospheric explaination.

I'm beginning to think when they get that far behind, they're just genetic dead-ends. I'll keep an eye on the one that molted sucessfully and see if it's indicative of anything...

(stay tuned)
Good lord, Sporeworld! You don't have any kids, do you?

"O.K. kids, after lunch we'll all drive down Highway 8 to the desert. I'll let you all out and drive 20 miles down the road and pick you up in four hours. And if little Mabel falls behind again, just leave her there. It's time to tie off some of those genetic dead ends!"

Here's the current L1-L3 Idolomantis Enclosure. Way open to suggestions...

IdoloL1-L3EnclosureIllustration.jpg

The way Idolo's huddle, I could probably fit about 50 L1's. But the more crowded it is, the more risk of disruptions during molting. I think 20 is about right.

Here is a couple of my chicken coupe, :D about 55-60 in there, they spread out more than the pics show, if they fall by a rare chance they hit the moist moss and climb back up like little monkey's to the mid or upper part of the tank. I can't watch them enough! I see like 2-3 molt a day with not one mis-molt so far...

DSCF0257.jpg

DSCF0256.jpg

DSCF0260.jpg

DSCF0259.jpg

I did show some of these before so bare with me.

Thanks man, I did forget to say, there's 4- 23 watt curly floro's in the top and a 16 watt heat pad that's always on in the bottom.

Looks great! I'm glad we're doing a few things differently. Should be able to debunk a few myths out there.

I've got screen on all but one of my glass sides. I'm making the argument that while molting from the sides IS problematic, not being able to grip the glass when needed might prove more-so. I'd also like to find out what makes a nymph think molting from a 90 degree angle is a good idea in the first place! Estupido!

Latest posts