Mantis Hobby interferes with Family Life Support Group

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello my name is Denise... Some of you may remember me...

I haven't been to a meeting in a while...

I fear I am having a problem ... collecting again...

I fear I am having a problem ... collecting again...
No worries there I've gotten up to 9 species now since joining this support group, a few new feeder cultures, and Lubbers... Makes me wonder if it's really helping. ;)

Especially when the majority of all my insects have come from four of you in this group. :D

6H263Ol.png
I only got 20 right now. I'll cut back i swear!

No worries there I've gotten up to 9 species now since joining this support group, a few new feeder cultures, and Lubbers... Makes me wonder if it's really helping. ;)

Especially when the majority of all my insects have come from four of you in this group. :D
Well lets just point fingers CosbyArt... ¬_¬

LOL! I had absolutely NO hand in helping him acquire a species! I SWEAR!! ^_~

I would probably enter the world of mantidhoicism if it weren't for a spouse making a "no bugs" rule in the house. He gave me the OK to hatch and release into the garden, but to keep a few indoors in the terrarium I'm setting up he's given a hard "no". I'm working on wittling down his resolve. Wish me luck! But there might be no mantids for me at all :( I got duped on ebay with mis-identified non-native mantids. I was thinking about going outdoors and try and find some ooths in the wild if I can't find any for sale, but it's been warm in TX lately and they may have hatched out for the season.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ha ha! I love it! This is a funny thread, but seriously. . .

Hi, my name is Maria and I am a mantidoholic. I've been late for shifts and I have stolen petri dishes (from school) for this addiction. I have tried to quit as my heart has been constantly broken from loosing my bugs to the black death or old age. But then I try to give my drugs I mean ooths away, and I can't!

I need help! Great to have a support group!

Hi Maria ... welcome to our group... So glad you joined us... We are here to help... So are you now trying to give anything away now? (just checking) LOL

I think my addiction is under control with help of the group. I'm at just 10 mantid species now, seems I'm slowing down. :D

I need help. I tried getting the # of species under 10, but that didn't work out too well. I feel like I'm spending too much time taking care of them. But the greatest sacrifice I have to make is...not going on vacations. I love traveling and exploring the world, and I can afford to do so and I even have lots of "vacation days" that I can take off from work, but I can't. Of course, I can take short trips, but I don't feel like I get much out of them. I need a long vacation to unwind and de-stress.

Thanks @dmina for bringing this thread back to life! Lol! This was too funny to read through!  :lol:  

Hi, my name is Dano. (Danielle) I am a Mantidaholic. It all started in the garden one day and i was so feeling overwhelmed with pests so i thought i would "try mantids." I was told they would cure me of my misery. Well, as you all know...you can't have just one! My one turned into 3 and 3 somehow made babies and then i discovered NEW species. Thats when i really got addicted... 12 different species in less than 6 months and the hubby is throwing the bank statements at me. "You need to seek help... It's either the Mantids or me." So we have decided to find a bigger home so i can have my own bug room and his own man cave! I think he is enabling. LOL. Needless to say, i feel i have my addiction under control but i feel peer pressure often to try new species. Its just one day at time... Or one shipment at a time if I'm lucky.  :D :innocent:

Welcome to our group Dano... It sounds like you made out on this deal.. bigger house, bug room... more mantis...
AWESOM12.gif

TWEETY13.gif

I currently have five different species, and somewhere around 20 mantis from L1 to L7 adults. I do have plenty of ooths ready to hatch any day too... I think I have it under control. ;)

Thanks @dmina for bringing this thread back to life! Lol! This was too funny to read through!  :lol:  

Hi, my name is Dano. (Danielle) I am a Mantidaholic. It all started in the garden one day and i was so feeling overwhelmed with pests so i thought i would "try mantids." I was told they would cure me of my misery. Well, as you all know...you can't have just one! My one turned into 3 and 3 somehow made babies and then i discovered NEW species. Thats when i really got addicted... 12 different species in less than 6 months and the hubby is throwing the bank statements at me. "You need to seek help... It's either the Mantids or me." So we have decided to find a bigger home so i can have my own bug room and his own man cave! I think he is enabling. LOL. Needless to say, i feel i have my addiction under control but i feel peer pressure often to try new species. Its just one day at time... Or one shipment at a time if I'm lucky.  :D :innocent:
Yes, thanks for reviving this thread! So funny! Some of us newbies probably need this support group as well, but admitting you have a problem is the hardest part. :p   If I mention only the number of species I have, and don't count all the carolina babies that recently hatched in my total count (I am going to release them any day now, I swear!) then maybe it doesn't seem like I have such a problem...LOL.

I only have 5 species at the moment! And my count (not including the Carolina babies) is only 39! Wait, I guess that is pretty bad, isn't it?FINE! I'll admit it, I'm addicted!  :unsure:

I don't get to work until almost 10am everyday, because I spend too much time in the bug room "misting the mantids" in the morning.....than I browse this forum throughout that day, in between writing technical documentation, of course.... but hey, I say work in enabling me! They are the ones forcing me to be on the computer all day! How am I supposed to resist? ;P

I wanna be part of the group to.

Most of my time goes to care for my little buddies.

If you really think about it,mantids are becoming endangered all around he world!

Everyone here changes the world a little bit,w e help keep these creatures alive!

Mantids are a very important part of the ecosystem,they serve a big part in the world we live in.mantids are misunderstood I think.

Thank you everyone for doing what you do and giving these little guys a chance

Latest posts