Mantis Hobby interferes with Family Life Support Group

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't join because it makes more sense to enjoy and study the intricacies and biology of fantastic living creature than to obsess over the number of times another man can carry a ball down a field, hit it with a stick, or move that ball to a net. Plus, I can quite any time I want to.

Hello there! I have a bit different problem... My stupid work interferes with my care for the mantids!  I don't have nearly as much time as I'd love to for caring of these amazing insects! I don't get enough sleep and I'm depressed that I can't always be there when they need me the most like if they decide to molt badly when I'm not at home to try to help them. Or whem they are in a mood to mate and I can't watch them all night cause I gotta work tomorrow! I know this is supposed to be a joke group but sometimes I am actually really depressed. Keeping mantis brings me so much joy and not being able to do it as well as I want saddens me. Instead I have to do that has no meaning at all and deal with assholes all day and it's frustrating to waste so much time on something that is completely stupid and useless instead of taking care one of nature's most wonderful beings.

Sounds like work is the problem here, not our addictions! Addictions are good, work is what's unhealthy.
Agreed! I wonder what my work would think if i started bringing my mantids in? "Sorry boss... 28 hour mating streak and i gotta make sure my male doesn't end up as a snack when they're done!"  :lol:  

I don't know what you all are talking about, I can quit any time. *Snorts a freshly ground-up mantis shedding*

Agreed! I wonder what my work would think if i started bringing my mantids in? "Sorry boss... 28 hour mating streak and i gotta make sure my male doesn't end up as a snack when they're done!"  :lol:  
Hahaha...Sad to say I have decided to have an "unscheduled" work from home day before because one of my males had just mounted my female, and I wanted to be there to ensure she did not eat him! 

Last edited by a moderator:
Too funny.. I am glad I brought it back.. seems like some of you needed to get some things off your chest... You always feel better when you talk things out.. 

OK....

Well it has been a while since we have had a meeting on our "perceived problem"...   I myself have been busy with a new batch of nymphs.. {pics to follow on my collection thread}

So how are you all doing?

Here here! My GF has gotten really jealous and thinks I spend too much time with them. She complains when I take pictures of them and not enough of her lol. Regular people just don't understand! It's not that we like our families less. They're just not mantises!

Glad to see you back Denise. :D

I've got only 4 mantises right now so I'm on the path to recovery.
thumbs-up2.gif

Although with arachnid species I have my hands full.. :D A few dozen bold jumping spiders (Phidippus audax) or more counting the new babies, 4 adult wolf spiders (Tigrosa helluo), a Vinegaroon (Mastigoproctus giganteus), and finally my first tarantula (species unknown until it molts a few times). Seems I may need to find a arachnid help group. ;)

Here are some baby pics of one of my newly hatched jumpers, and my T - perhaps I can get a few converts...
thumbup.gif

View attachment 8350

View attachment 8347

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad to see you back Denise. :D

I've got only 4 mantises right now so I'm on the path to recovery.
thumbs-up2.gif

Although with arachnid species I have my hands full.. :D A few dozen bold jumping spiders (Phidippus audax) or more counting the new babies, 4 adult wolf spiders (Tigrosa helluo), a Vinegaroon (Mastigoproctus giganteus), and finally my first tarantula (species unknown until it molts a few times). Seems I may need to find a arachnid help group. ;)

Here are some baby pics of one of my newly hatched jumpers, and my T - perhaps I can get a few converts...
thumbup.gif

View attachment 8350

View attachment 8347
Okay Thomas!.... This is not a spider thread! if you don't mind please keep your spiders to yourself!!! or at least give us a SPIDER WARNING! I am really trying to be tolerant to spiders... but when you just put them up here with no warning... Shame.... shame!

Congrats to you on your spiders though... do you still have your wife?

Okay Thomas!.... This is not a spider thread! if you don't mind please keep your spiders to yourself!!! or at least give us a SPIDER WARNING! I am really trying to be tolerant to spiders... but when you just put them up here with no warning... Shame.... shame!

Congrats to you on your spiders though... do you still have your wife?
Well it's related, the mantises lead me to the other exotic pets too. :D

I tried a warning with the text about them before the photos in my post, but depending on how it was viewed I guess the photos would grab your attention before any text - so sorry there. ;)

Yeah my wife is still with me, the arachnids were something that took great effort to warm her up to (I started small with some "for an order" that never left us, and I slowly increased the amount and their size lol). Now I have plans underway to get a half dozen or more tarantulas and other things setup, but with me returning to work full time it has been a stalled process. I though got my hours cut permanently to a acceptable level (by my request) so now I'll have time to get back to my plans.
thumbs-up2.gif

Glad to see you found your way back, and hope all is well. Do you still have your hands full with babies? :wub:

Latest posts