Science Fair Experiment

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@gare58 I've noticed that too.

Excellent near vision and depth perception would be a characteristic that gives one mantis an advantage over another in hunting. The more successful mantis would go on to procreate, thus perpetuating the characteristic.

Shouldn't most mantids have vision strong enough to hit the branch more successfully, and with the less iteration? Hmmm. 

Last edited by a moderator:
@MantisGirl13 if you want you could design the experiment around their reaching.  Do handfed mantids reach for food or to hitch a ride?  Your hypothesis would be which you think it is.  Then you could record occurrences of them accepting a ride and accepting food following a reach.  Maybe it's both?  Perhaps offer both at the same time and see if they consistently choose one or the other.

@MantisGirl13 if you want you could design the experiment around their reaching.  Do handfed mantids reach for food or to hitch a ride?  Your hypothesis would be which you think it is.  Then you could record occurrences of them accepting a ride and accepting food following a reach.  Maybe it's both?  Perhaps offer both at the same time and see if they consistently choose one or the other.
Interesting idea! I will definitely think about it. Everyone is giving me such great ideas, it is hard to pick one!

- MantisGirl13

Thank you all for your ideas! I started my experiment today. I chose to use the idea that @hysteresis gave me. Thanks hysterisis!

- MantisGirl13

Latest posts