NatureFest in Humble, Texas

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yen_saw

Forum Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Event: NatureFest

Time: March 6th, 2010

Recently, Anita who is the park naturalist requested me to co-host a booth for the NatureFest. The booth is called ‘Spineless Encounter’. Since I have plenty of Chinese mantis and Carolina mantis hatching out recently I thought it would be cool to give them away to visitors as the weather in Houston has finally warming up (~70F). My son Kenneth decided to come along helping out too.

Reporting to Anita that morning.

NF1.jpg

Kenneth was still busy putting the free mantis in deli cup but there are visitors checking up on us soon.

nf2.jpg

Here is our booth ‘ambassador’, a very active Texas unicorn mantis female.

nf3.jpg

And it doesn’t take our friendly ambassador very long to make her first impact. She’s an instant star!

NF4.jpg

Adults love our ambassador too

NF5.jpg

Even the senior citizen thinks our ambassador is adorable

nf5a.jpg

Jill, who is the park volunteer, was wary initially when I show her our ambassador.

nf6.jpg

But it doesn't take very long for one to accept our ambassador. Jill seems cool with her soon.

nf7.jpg

Now Jill is happily showing our ambassador around

nf8.jpg

Guys think she is the coolest mantis ever seen. Pretty amazed with our ambassador.

nf9.jpg

nf10.jpg

nf11.jpg

Ladies think she is adorable! Our ambassador is quite popular by then.

nf12.jpg

Some mommies are pretty daring and let our ambassador crawled all over

nf13.jpg

nf14.jpg

nf15.jpg

nf16.jpg

Some mommies introduce their kids our ambassador.

nf17.jpg

nf18.jpg

Some mommies want to keep a photo with our ambassador

nf19.jpg

Some of the younger friend needs their mommy help in making friend with our ambassador

nf20.jpg

Definitely, younger friends found her irresistible, so our ambassador has many friends soon.

nf21.jpg

nf22.jpg

nf23.jpg

nf24.jpg

nf25.jpg

nf26.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
She’s too hot! Continue making lot of friends haha!

nf27.jpg

nf28.jpg

nf29.jpg

nf30.jpg

Sometimes she makes a few friends at the same time

nf31.jpg

But sometimes things get out of hand when too many visitors want to make friend with her and I bet she gets confuse with all the new friend’s names!

nf32.jpg

Well some kids think our ambassador is a little ticklish!

nf33.jpg

Some were too scare to look at her….. No worry she won’t bite.

nf34.jpg

Some will only look if the parent is holding our ambassador

nf35.jpg

Most of the visitors think our ambassador is beautiful and want to take her home!

nf36.jpg

nf37.jpg

nf38.jpg

nf39.jpg

No no no, the ambassador is staying! But anyone making friend with our ambassador gets a free mantis. Yay!!

nf40.jpg

nf41.jpg

nf42.jpg

Some couldn’t wait and want to play with the new pet soon.

nf43.jpg

Surprisingly, most visitors have no idea on baby mantis food. But I prepare a simple caresheet for everyone taking a new pet home.

nf44.jpg

Actually, anyone thinking of taking a free mantis needs to take a mantis quiz. Well, as my plan was to give away every mantis, it is as good as free.

nf45.jpg

Note: please don’t laugh at my drawing I wanted to make it look as cartoon as possible :p

Some kids think the little mantis in the deli cup is cute.

nf45a.jpg

Oh there is actually another ambassador in our booth, he is a Madagascar hissing roach which is my co-host Anita’s pet.

nf46.jpg

nf47.jpg

Part of the mantis related exhibition items, some are freshly pinned native species made recently. I lost some of the wings during the show bummer… can’t blame the little fellas (too young to read).

nf48.jpg

Kenneth busy showing some creepy crawlies to other visitors

nf49.jpg

Visitors checking out the little Chinese and Carolina mantis. Busy…..

nf50.jpg

If I remember correctly this little girl is checking out the dragonfly larvae in the water.

nf51.jpg

Some other bugs on the booth, there are black widow, scorpion, crayfish, shrimp, other mantis, etc.

nf52.jpg

Couple of fresh water shrimp loaded with eggs.

nf53.jpg

Rebecca, you might not remember this but Anita told me her husband got this from you haha! A dead leaf mantis!

nf54.jpg

She also asked me about the mysterious mantis you gave her. Well it looks like Creobroter sp. but I have no idea what species it is still a nymph ….. geez Rebecca, your mysterious mantis is keeping everyone’s brain working haha! :p

Soon there is lunch break so Kenneth and I checking out other booths

nf55.jpg

I was supposed to give Erin a shield mantis for the museum exhibition so I stop by her table. She was busy hosting the table representing the Houston Museum of Natural Science.

nf56.jpg

And there she is her favorite giant katydid!

nf57.jpg

Moving on there were some tables with lively animals

nf58.jpg

nf59.jpg

nf60.jpg

A cool looking gecko

nf61.jpg

This guy is showing visitors a good size corn snake

nf62.jpg

Some hunting ‘trophies’

nf63.jpg

nf64.jpg

Some tables show skins and and bones

nf65.jpg

nf68.jpg

nf70.jpg

nf71.jpg

Some show dangerous reptile…… well it is a baby gator

nf66.jpg

Some show harmless repltile

nf67.jpg

Houston Zoo showing skins and bones…. Guess they are from the deceased animals in the zoo.

nf72.jpg

A cool Texas horn lizard…can you see it?

nf73.jpg

Kenneth and I find this baby owl pretty cute! Poor thing must be sleepy (they are nocturnal).

nf74.jpg

nf75.jpg

Moving to another booth, I was terrified to see a little girl holding a blue crab! (they pinch hard!)

nf76.jpg

But she shows me half the pinch is gone and she even put her finger in between the pincher… oh well.

nf77.jpg

Moving to the Rehabilitate Center and saw this baby possum. There are some visitors around but this possum is sleeping like a baby, or just playing dead!

nf78.jpg

nf79.jpg

Next was this man-made pond for fishing. Saw lot of bass there but didn’t try out

nf80.jpg

This booth showing finger prints of different wild animals

nf81.jpg

And that was when my camera went kaput bummer!! And we were not even through half of the booths.... gah! Anyway, after the lunch break we went back to our ‘Spineless Encounter’ booth and stayed for the rest of the day. It was nice to see many visitors show interest in praying mantis and it felt good leaving the event knowing that there are now more people familiar with this cool insect.

Very cool Yen! Sort of like the Bugfest event I do. I recall the Unicorn mantis being a big hit at Bugfest too.

Yep she is a hit, i was worried she might get abuse but everyone seems to handle her alright. Infact i think my dried specimen get the brunt of the abuse instead bummer.

Wonderful series showing your booth and the crowd's reactions! The other booths were interesting too. Too bad your camera conked out. Everyone I show my mantids to seem to really like the female Phyllovates chlorophaea also. You picked a perfect girl for your ambassador. ;) Thanks for sharing the pics with us... I really liked the captions and explanations with them too. I'm also glad you are helping to familiarize the public with mantis species. Giving away the little native nymphs was a great idea. Maybe some of those who encountered your booth will become mantis hobbyists in the future, thanks to you. :D

As always, Yen, a great photo essay. I hope that your camera has recovered from the excitement and is well again (dead battery? :D ). Fairs like this are also a nice antidote to the Texas "rattler roundups" like the one held in Sweetwater each year. Great job!

Excellent, Yen! Thank you for sharing your experience with us all!

Latest posts