How long did you oldest mantid live?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MantidBro

Reaction score
I currently have had 17 mantids. 15 were nymphs. I had a bit of a bad ootheca and that's all that hatched. Then some died, as expected. So now I have 3 nymphs. I had 4 but one got lost. The rest died (and number 4 probably has as well).

2 mantids I have had were past the nymph stage. I got them when they were L4 and L5. The L4, S.I.R., died at 6 months old. She stopped eating, was supposed to molt, but didn't, and instead died. The L5, Majesty, died at 10 months old. She most likely died of old age, though, she never laid an ootheca, and it seemed her reproductive organs had hardened and turned black (like when they lose legs/feet). Was it not old age that killed her? Was the egg stuck inside her because she wasn't able to release it due to her hardened reproductive organs?

Either way, the oldest I've had so far is 10 months. I hope to have others that live much longer in the future.

How long did your guys oldest mantid live? And if still alive, how old are they right now?

Brancsikia339... Outliving most of her children. Wow!

My oldest female mantis was 14 months old when she finally died. Many of my females live to be 10 - 12 months. Currently my oldest female (an Orchid) is 10 months old.

My oldest male (a p wahlbergii) lived for 4.5 months as an adult, but I'm not sure how old he was as I had only noted the date of his final molt and not his hatch date.

Brancsikia339... Outliving most of her children. Wow!

My oldest female mantis was 14 months old when she finally died. Many of my females live to be 10 - 12 months. Currently my oldest female (an Orchid) is 10 months old.

My oldest male (a p wahlbergii) lived for 4.5 months as an adult, but I'm not sure how old he was as I had only noted the date of his final molt and not his hatch date.
14 months is good! :)

I currently have Sphodromantis viridis females that hatched out August 24th 2011, thus nearly 14 months old. They still feed well, and have hardly shown signs of aging (inability to support body off the ground, bad vision, damaged tarsi, etc) I am truly impressed by these specimens.

I currently have Sphodromantis viridis females that hatched out August 24th 2011, thus nearly 14 months old. They still feed well, and have hardly shown signs of aging (inability to support body off the ground, bad vision, damaged tarsi, etc) I am truly impressed by these specimens.
Woah nice! Have they laid an ootheca or more yet?

Latest posts