Rhombodera (unknown sp. - HELP!) Mating, Ooth

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Precarious

Reaction score
I have 2 adult females successfully mated with my lone male. He stayed mounted for 25 and a half hours!

Still looking for identification.

Anyone know how to distinguish stalii from other sp.? I was told by one of my contacts these may be Rhombodera sp. new to culture. Shield appears broader than stalii but I have no previous experience with Rhombodera so have to go by photos online.

Females are about 3.6", which is larger than both my Sphodromantis sp. and viridis females!

Male is 3.35", not longer but much broader than Sphodromantis sp. and viridis.

Extensive photos of pre-sub female here:

http://mantidforum.n...showtopic=22221

Would like to identify before I start selling nymphs. ;)

Gravid Female

gravid_5444-sm.jpg

First Coupling

eRhombo_5324-sm.jpg

eRhombo_5321-sm.jpg

eRhombo_5322-sm.jpg

First Ooth

eRhomboooth_5496-sm.jpg

Ooth is as long as an Idolo ooth and literally larger than her abdomen!

Congrates! That is one impressive ooth! I want to say Rh. valida but there's been too many discussions on this genus so I don't know. All the best and looking forward to see tons of nymphs hatching out :)

Congrates! That is one impressive ooth! I want to say Rh. valida but there's been too many discussions on this genus so I don't know. All the best and looking forward to see tons of nymphs hatching out :)
Thanks, Yen! I consider you THE authority so your input is important to me. I saw you just posted stallii nymphs. Are these too big to be stallii?

what is the tiny ooth on the stick behind her?
Her foot is on an old infertile Texas Unicorn (Phyllovates chlorophaea) ooth. There is another in the background. In the upper right corner you can see the very tip of a fertile Sphodromantis viridis (my favorite Sphodromantis species so far) ooth laid a few days before.

I remember basalis had a smaller sheild than yours and the colors were a little tamer.

I remember basalis had a smaller sheild than yours and the colors were a little tamer.
Thanks for your input. I really appreciate it. Sounds like you've got a lot of experience with shields. Between you and Yen I will assume they are valida. I'm really excited to get some nymphs and spread them around.

i have to get back into shields so when you spread them think of me ;)

R. basalis ooths don't look like that, they are more globular. R. stalii does not have a brown stripe on the ventral prothorax so that is out too. Those are the only two Rhombodera I'm familiar with!

I saw you just posted stallii nymphs. Are these too big to be stallii?
Although size is not a good way to identify species, the average Indonesia (Rh. stallii) stock that I know measure to only about 7-8 cm. I wish i could tell you more.
R. basalis ooths don't look like that, they are more globular. R. stalii does not have a brown stripe on the ventral prothorax so that is out too. Those are the only two Rhombodera I'm familiar with!
Good observation! I also noticed Rh. basalis has blue hue on wings.

Great! Now we're getting somewhere. Thanks. I was going to contact you last week when the first ooth dropped but the forum was down.

Just so everyone knows, that first ooth is going back to Mylo (banned from the forum). He sent me his female to breed because he couldn't find any males anywhere else, including all of Europe. My female is due to drop any day so keep your fingers crossed.

I didn't have any luck with my shield. Only laid one ooth before my female died and it was done in 2 sittings, as she was disturbed by a roach while laying. :mad: I'm sure it/they are as fertile as possible with multiple pairings. But the clock is ticking away and I am starting to lose hope. They were really pretty...and BIG.

...I already forgot about the first ooth with nothing. so this would be a 2nd ooth.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts