Rhombodera (unknown sp. - HELP!) Mating, Ooth

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WOW!!!

Amazing photos...some of the best of an ooth hatching.
Thanx! I took over 120 photos! Wait till you see the video. Easily my best footage to date.

I definitely want some after I get back from my next trip. Save some for me!
Sorry, they all sold in the first few minutes.

Just kidding! :D

Yours are reserved. How many did you want? Around 300?

Thanx! I took over 120 photos! Wait till you see the video. Easily my best footage to date.

Sorry, they all sold in the first few minutes.

Just kidding! :D

Yours are reserved. How many did you want? Around 300?
Well, maybe not quite that many...Hey, do the nymphs stay green like that? I've never had any nymphs that start out green.

It hatched 357 nymphs!!!

RhomboH_6744-sm.jpg
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Wow! That is an insane amount! :eek: I hope you have plenty of fruit flies? :p
I have one culture of each that just arrived today. I'll have to order more. I really wasn't expecting this. I only thought I'd see 100 Orchids but they didn't even hatch yet. Soon I'll be drowning in nymphs! :blink:

If you have noticed below me there is a list of what species I want. *Wink Wink* Add me on the list!! PM me, I only want one!
Orchids should hatch within a week or so, Rhombos will take a few weeks before they hit L2, and I have fresh adult Unicorns fattening up for breeding. I'll add you to the lists. ;)

Orchids should hatch within a week or so, Rhombos will take a few weeks before they hit L2, and I have fresh adult Unicorns fattening up for breeding. I'll add you to the lists. ;)
Orchids and rhombos. I'll take some of each please. I'll pm you.

Unicorns too....you are like a super center!

You counted the nymphs to provide the number 357? You're my new hero. I'd have just pulled a Yen and said "lots." :D

You counted the nymphs to provide the number 357? You're my new hero. I'd have just pulled a Yen and said "lots." :D
The only way to get good photos and video is to have the ooth out of any container so I can get right up close. The only way to do that without it becoming a nightmare is to collect each nymph as it climbs up. If you leave them loose until the skin totally hardens they are super fast! So I stood over the ooth for over 3 hours and collected each nymph before they hardened. Or so I thought. I found one loose today bringing the total to 358!

Not to throw things off even more, but I had (and traded-off) quite a few nymphs that I referred to as "Red Shields". I was told (from a fairly reliable source) they were "Rhombodera laticolli". You can see them as nymphs in...

http://mantidforum.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=21447&hl=welcome%20spongeworld&st=0

The pic of their parent (which of course, I can't find now) looked very similar. There's a pic on page 2 of one molting to (I think) L3.

Why I bring this up, is that those pics were taken around June, so that might time out right, depending on incubation time. Either parent, if slow, or grand parent, if quick.

This link sends you to the tolweb.org page showing the (long) list of Rhombodera sp.

http://tolweb.org/Rhombodera/12792

Ohhh... when will we get our mantid DNA tests....!?! :)

R. laticollis are much bigger than Henry's specimens if I'm not mistaken. We need more entomologists that specialize in mantids in this world!