Like mother like son

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Domanating

Reaction score
I thought it would be interesting uploading a video of a female Mantis Religiosa and one of her offspring doing exactly the same thing at different scales. This species isn't afraid of anything.

Coo video. Mantis religiosa is an underrated mantis when it comes to how aggressive they can be. I'm curious though, how were able to hatch the offspring of the female while the female was still alive? Did they not require a cold period? I see that you are in Portugal, to these guys not go through a diapause there?

The female is already dead. The footage of the adult is old but the part of the nymph was shot 3 days ago. My laziness postponed the publishing of the adult video for months. Only when i captured the nymphs hunt and i saw the resemblances, I finally decided publish both on Youtube. I think this indirectly answers to all your questions.

The nymph is a L2, by the way

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, that makes sense now. Thanks for the explanation. Still a cool video, and an aggressive nymph.

It is amazing at how they catch larger than themselves I still find the being eaten alive though a bit gruesome :chef:

LOL its kinda like watching Bizarre Foods on TV

5th instar male Deroplatys lobata nymph eating an adult male Blatta lateralis. He is tiny. He looks like he is pre-sub-adult and he looks wayyyy to small! I found out that these guys will not chase food as much as other mantids and so I thought they were a bit timid of large prey but if prey that is larger than itself comes close enough they will try to eat it! :eek:

Latest posts