Nymph Cups

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bug Trader

Reaction score
I've been asked by a few to start sharing more on how we are able to not only house but manage a larger collection. The way I make these cups not only beats the prices of ff cups and vials but they make our feeding time much more efficient and I do not have to deal with lids that snap on and off and crack around the edges. I get the cups at walmart, roughly 80 cups for under $3 they come in both 9oz. and 16oz. so I use them for 2 seperate stages of growth for many species.

Its as simple as taking half the cups and cutting out the top ring, I then glue screen to it, no-see-um mesh for ff feeders and fiberglass screen for the ones past the ff stage. These cups like most were designed to fit inside one another to the lid slides in flush and doesnt fall off or take rubbber bands or anything to hold it on which is what I love it makes feeding time go fast and easy, just pull the lid up and drop in the food the mantis even on the lid usually sits still due to the ring barrier around the lid..

When the cups get nasty I can toss them and just wash and reuse the lids they make everything easier and cheaper. I just sit around and make them while Im reading the forums. They cost less than 10 cents each to make. Cheaper when you reuse the lids.

Nymph ups 007.JPG

Nymph ups 004.JPG

Nymph ups 005.JPG

Nymph ups 006.JPG

Nymph ups 003.JPG

Nymph ups 002.JPG

Nymph ups 001.JPG

Never thought of that. good idea. I dont have a big problem with the snap lids. I just force up one side, while keeping a lot of it still snapped, and blows FFs in with a straw covered at my mouth end with matting so I dont swallow any.

I just find using these much more time efficient over anything. no lid to worry about popping off or securing correctly to keep ff in.

I like the idea that a nymph that hangs from the top will be in less danger of getting its little tarsae nipped by a snapping lid.

One thing I don't like about snap lids is that a nymph seems to always put a foot in a bad place. It causes me to take too much time getting the nymph to move a foot out of the way so I can close the lid.

I put small holes in the sides of containers for feeding, but the "slide in lid" seems like a good idea for other mainteneance.

not at all, post away, As for the nymphs getting feet in the snaps I've done that accidentally a few times when they start running or trying to escape as I am closing the lid. These cups eliminate it completely as well as provide a 3/4'' barrier wall around the lid to help. I use them for both mantids and arachnids.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is awesome!! I love it!

Aaaaand Mal You're doing what???

Blow darting FF's?

Last edited by a moderator:
This is awesome!! I love it!

Aaaaand Mal You're doing what???

Blow darting FF's?
Yeah I blow dart FFs lmao. pretty easy. Never have to put the culture in the fridge, dont have to tap any out either so the medium can be moist and gooey. Really easy to count how many they get too. I'll take some pics and post them.

Thanks for sharing bugtrader, excellent idea! The cost of containers really start to add up and I love the lid design.

What's nice is that you can use this method on probably any size cup that fits into each other.

Your cuts look really clean, do you just use a regular razor or something else.

Malakyoma, I look forward to seeing how you blow your flies in. I have feeder holes at the top with a foam plug and tap the fruit flies into a funnel. It works pretty good but sometimes I tap in too many flies and it's impossible to count the flies, etc. I assume you are using some type of pooter where you suck the flies in and then blow them out?

I tape a box cutter down to the counter over a small piece of 1/4'' plywood to give it the right height. Then I have both hands to hold the cup down on the counter and spin it on the blade in order to get a decently level clean cut.

Great idea! I'd imagine this works great if you've got a million young nymphs that must be separated. That's a situation I avoid like the plague! Although, at the moment I've got 8 Archimantis latistyla and 6 adult male Orchids housed separately. Would probably save me some space.

I prefer to keep them all seperate, not only o ensure they survive each other but because Im focusing on keeping multiple bloodlines of these species so each cup gets labeled.

Sounds very easy to use :) all of mine have feeder holes in the side that are bunged with a peice of foam.very easy to feed that way :)

Latest posts