Nymph Cups

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One you make a few it gets easier, cuts get cleaner/neater. They have been a huge help for us.

As for the arachnid use Ranitomeya they make great sling cups. This allows you to control the depth of the lid for the tarantulas needs.

My taumantis enjoying your cup style.

f5TE8.jpg

HI:

Cool idea! Both the cups and the blow darting! I watched the video on the other thread, very cool. So... I would use the smaller of the two cups (8oz) for a newly hatched nymph and then transfer him to the larger cup at what stage? I am asking because I ordered an ooth for my garden and want to keep a few and release the others, (native species).

Great idea! i might have to do that sometime, the rubber bands are getting annoying lol

So awesome! :clap:

I HAVE to try this! You have just saved me so much time and probably many little mantis lives....

Now to get my mantids and buy my cups. :shifty:

Okay.... I put one together but I wonder if the lip isn't deep enough? Also, Walmart was out of the cups you showed so I got these... Little less deep, will it be okay? Lol Iam experimenting before I even have Nymhs lol

D16E9232-BF90-4CA4-8C89-5E51168EEC2E-509-000000603D49E44B.jpg

8A631D26-CC6C-4576-B021-7DA7370B3BC1-509-000000606646053D.jpg

Looks fine to me glock34girl.
Thanks Danny.... I am pretty slow at it I'll tell you that. Nine of them... missed then whole movie I was watching. lol

Can the original poster of the idea show a picture of his box cutter set up? That was the tricky part for me. My cuts weren't straight by any means.

Hey I just made a few of these with smaller cups (I think they were 3 oz?) and they work great! I am using them for my L1 nymphs. Thanks for the idea!

HI:

Cool idea! Both the cups and the blow darting! I watched the video on the other thread, very cool. So... I would use the smaller of the two cups (8oz) for a newly hatched nymph and then transfer him to the larger cup at what stage? I am asking because I ordered an ooth for my garden and want to keep a few and release the others, (native species).
I would just use the larger cup instead to be honest because even with a larger cup they still won't have a hard time finding a meal and on top of that... no hassle transferring nymphs! Atleast that's my take on it!

Thanks Danny.... I am pretty slow at it I'll tell you that. Nine of them... missed then whole movie I was watching. lol

Can the original poster of the idea show a picture of his box cutter set up? That was the tricky part for me. My cuts weren't straight by any means.
Talk to Bug Trader! He's the mastermind behind this!

Okay, so I could make some of these, and just set them inside the terrarium for a place to put them. ^_^ (That'll keep them safe from the curiosities of my 3 cats too! :lol: ) Should I have bulbs on it tho just like I do my current terrarium for warmth? It's pretty warm here in Arizona now, but that's outside and not in my house. My house will soon have the A/C running and now frequently has my ceiling fan running and it is actually rather cool in here even without my ceiling fan running. So I'm thinking some warmth will be/is going to be needed for them. But would like some opinions on the matter. Have to go to Wal-Mart today anyway, already have a glue gun, just need the cups and the mesh. Oh, the bulbs.?

Yeah cat's can be a problem for mantid hobbyists, I have a friend she has 5 cats and Im always worried on of them will kill the bugs I send her. The cups are a cheap easy way to keep your nymphs seperate at yoinger instars. I would put them in the cage under the same conditions you would just keep a mantis in there. Lights, misting and all.

Please do not disrespect the OP he worked hard to come up with new ideas and share them with everyone. I for one like the cups and I know cat's are evil, unnatural and bad for the hobby.

She, huh? Lol hey can you show us how you set up your cutter?
Yes, me too!!! I want to see how you set up your cutter! :turned: I went and bought the cups and fiberglass mesh screen yesterday and am going to start on some housing today, but I also would like to see how you set up your cutter. I was trying to picture it when you said you taped it to your counter (box cutter) with a 1/4" piece of plywood to keep it even and I just can't quite picture it. :unsure: I'm thinking of using an Exacto knife cuz I'm not sure how sharp my box cutter is and I didn't think to get new blades for it. :wacko: I know I have new blades for my Exacto, a whole package of them in fact. But still want to see your box cutter set up on the counter because it sounds like you've got a really smart idea. :smarty: