Nymph Cups

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I prefer to keep them all seperate, not only o ensure they survive each other but because Im focusing on keeping multiple bloodlines of these species so each cup gets labeled.
I take a long piece of scotch tape, fold over the very end for easy removal, and stick it on the side of most cups. That way I can number each nymph by sex and document the date of each molt, or at least the order they molt in, with a sharpie. That way once the first one molts I know when to expect the others to. This is also a good method because you can pull off the tape and stick it to another cup when replacing the cup during cleaning or when they outgrow it.

Brilliant!!!

I was impressed when you sent me things, the labeling from sex to sub groups was impeccable. Your defiantly a asset to to community, as well as just a all around cool guy.

Glad your back, we're all the better for it.

Yes, Lowes, HomeDepot even Walmart, It comes in rolls usually in the window screen kit areas.

A question regarding using small cups and condiment cups to separate the small nymphs.

For molting, do you line the cups with any material because there is not much room for twigs, etc?

For those of you who use those small 5 oz condiment cups to separate nymphs, do you line the sides or top with anything? Do you just punch holes with a needle in the top for air? I notice that Malakyoma uses those small condiment cups. I know that Albert uses those craft organizers.

Wonderful creative ideas, thanks for sharing.

I would just hotglue fiberglass screen inside the lid and some on the walls. as for twigs a few pieces of excelsior for the small nymphs.

looks good, the screen does last a long time, I have no time for making my own anymore, time here is money and I better be making it or hubby will kick my butt! I do like the lid s we purchase though, easy to throw in a bucket with bleach and even the nasties ones with smashed fruit flies come out sparkling clean with no scrubbing, and they last a long time that way, I reuse all my cups and lids by putting in bleach and water in slop sink, I do make time for it, not just to save money, but it is my way of going green, reuse, as long as I can, all old ones no good for fruit flies, turn into cup o ooth when being sold, so most every one gets a cup with their ooths.

I would just hotglue fiberglass screen inside the lid and some on the walls. as for twigs a few pieces of excelsior for the small nymphs.
Thank you for the info bugtrader.

As far as the maximum size nymph that a small container can house, does the same rules apply ie: 3x the length of the mantis for height and 2x the length for width? It seems like those small condiment containers and craft organizers are only about 2" high, so the max nymph size would be only 3/4". Or at the early stages can you get away with 2x the length for height, etc?

Thanks again.

looks good, the screen does last a long time, I have no time for making my own anymore, time here is money and I better be making it or hubby will kick my butt! I do like the lid s we purchase though, easy to throw in a bucket with bleach and even the nasties ones with smashed fruit flies come out sparkling clean with no scrubbing, and they last a long time that way, I reuse all my cups and lids by putting in bleach and water in slop sink, I do make time for it, not just to save money, but it is my way of going green, reuse, as long as I can, all old ones no good for fruit flies, turn into cup o ooth when being sold, so most every one gets a cup with their ooths.
We clean and reuse all our ff stock cups, beach water does do wonders for those poly mesh lids. I have custom racks made to fit these cups I use for nymphs and slings so when Im sitting around I take the time to make a dozen or two cups. I don't so much make them due to the price break because I get wholesale cups and lids already, the lids just make life much easier on these as well as They are only 3'' wide so I get more of them per rack since we don'tt house anything in groups anymore.

As far as the maximum size nymph that a small container can house, does the same rules apply ie: 3x the length of the mantis for height and 2x the length for width? It seems like those small condiment containers and craft organizers are only about 2" high, so the max nymph size would be only 3/4". Or at the early stages can you get away with 2x the length for height, etc?

Thanks again.
Those small condoment cups I never really used them but to pack and ship small nymphs in. I have had plenty people tell me that mantids and tarantulas have molted in shipping so L2 Hymenopus, and other similar sized species should be ok but Id prefer atleast the 4oz cups.

One other peice of info for cups like the ones I make, if your not keeping them in a greenhouse or tub/aquarium to control humidity you may need to glue some plastic sheeting over most the lid to keep in humidity.

I'm not a fan of excelsior. Some of them really seem to not like it or have a hard time with it. Mines thinner than yours though I think. I also sand the walls of the cup if I'm not putting much work into it, otherwise I glue sticks/sponge/screen to the sides for climbing

Thanks again.
Yep same rules apply. The cups you saw in my FF blowdart video have L3-4 Tau's living comfortably in them. They will be ale to stay there for a while. Then I have 20 oz containers for the medium instars and larger for adult depending on what they need.

I wish we got the same style cups as you guys over here.Pur sides are far more angled and never give enough area inside the cup :-(

What an excellent idea, I need to do this for my tarantula spiderlings. They love building their webbing right under the lid and this'll prevent me from having to destroy it every time I need to feed them.

Definitely stole your idea mike. Moving my Tau's into their new 12oz homes now. The first ones I made are obviously the messiest, with furniture making the lid closing more difficult, but I've found probably an optimal layout of furniture to make opening and closing smooth while allowing the taus to climb all the way up and down.