My damaged wild ooth hatched

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CosbyArt

Reaction score
I finally had something hatch from my incubating ooths that wasn't a parasitic wasp! I noticed the new nymphs around 6 pm yesterday (Sunday Jan 4), and in a strange coincidence about 4 hours later my first (and only till then) mantis Susanna was dying. She died shortly after midnight, here is the post about Susanna.

The ooth that hatched was one I found outside on the wooden fence running along my carport area. It was a Stagmomantis carolina ooth, and had some damage. Under a close inspection (USB microscope) it showed a few mites inside the damaged area. Here is the original topic about the ooth.

It took 44 days of incubating, after 3 weeks of natural freezing/wintering diapause, to hatch the ooth.

As I know fruit flies can escape through the screen mesh, heck Hydei ones can eventually let alone the Melanogaster which I must feed the nymphs - What is a good additional screen mesh/cover to use to keep the fruit flies in? I seen someone mention pantyhose so if nothing else I'll try that.

I was inspecting my incubating containers as I do several times a day, and rotating/watering as needed, I discovered several tiny Carolina nymphs all over the inside walls of one of the containers.

I immediately hurried to finish the new habitat I was building for any hatched nymphs, the final walls were left to add. It is a 35 pound (5 gallon?) jug that holds frying oil for restaurant use. It measures (inside where the mantis is) roughly 13" x 9" x 10". I found the plastic is a bit thin (that's why they have it in a box with the lid area cut out), but works fine. Inside is lined completely with screen mesh, has a top and bottom feeding tube, and a large 5" screw lid for access inside.

The nymph home has a thin layer of coconut fiber (Plantation Soil) to help with humidity and a place for the Springtails to live - as I read nymphs eat them as well (confirmed) and as they help keep the tank clean.

A rough count of the nymphs once they were in their new home and calmed down, counting each wall quickly, I counted 68, just short of 70. Also after removing the crimped paper substrate from the incubation container I found 3 that died during hatching (mis-molts).

Ooth #10 (the chamber has 2 ooths and is the one on top) hatched 4 more wasps which were killed during the nymph transfer too. Thankfully the nearly hatched wasps are unable to fly, making it easy to dispose of them.

Watching the new nymphs I saw one of the baby mantises twist it's head staring at a Springtail, then it grabbed and ate it. Seems the new mantises are just like the adults and are ready to go.

The photos below are of the newly hatched Carolina nymphs from discovery to in their new home. Too bad the one photo didn't get focus on the nymphs on the branch as it was a funny sight to see so many mantises lined up under it - I thought it was worth including anyway.

ooth11-1.jpg

ooth11-2.jpg

ooth11-3.jpg

ooth11-4.jpg

ooth11-5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
They are soooo cute... congrats! I know you feel bad about Susanna... I think you are going to have your hands full with these guys... already hungry...

The mesh I use is the no see-um screen... fruit flies can't get through it...

Sorry for your loss. Glad for your gain ; )
Thanks, yeah it worked out strangely the same day.

They are soooo cute... congrats! I know you feel bad about Susanna... I think you are going to have your hands full with these guys... already hungry...

Thanks, indeed she will be missed. They ate at least one Springtail within minutes of me adding the Springtails to their habitat. :D

Thanks I will check into that screen.

not trying to be grim but be prepared for many more losses

these guys r tough to keep as babies

a few tips:

1- give them plenty of space and many perches

2- hydrate well but dont overmist (frequent but gentle mistings probably the best route)

3- dont overwhelm them with food. yes they must eat but dont offer food until 3 days of age and only add 1 or 2 small fruitflies per nymph. carelessly dumping in food is stressful on youngsters

good luck with them

not trying to be grim but be prepared for many more losses

these guys r tough to keep as babies

a few tips:

1- give them plenty of space and many perches

2- hydrate well but dont overmist (frequent but gentle mistings probably the best route)

3- dont overwhelm them with food. yes they must eat but dont offer food until 3 days of age and only add 1 or 2 small fruitflies per nymph. carelessly dumping in food is stressful on youngsters

good luck with them
Sure I understand, that's why I am incubating several ooths. Sadly I figured a high mortality rate from several factors, including my own lack of experience.

Thanks for the great tips I will be sure to follow them as it sounds like you are a voice of experience in this. I appreciate the help.

i have reared 3 stagmomantis before-limbata (easiest), californica (not bad but a b!tch to incubate), and carolina (hardest)

this is a genus where theres a higher nymphal mortality than species like creobroter or something like that

they r not as bad as tenodera but r pretty darn close

Wow - great to hear that they hatched Crosby and thanks Agent A for all that information!

Those are some great pictures - especially that close up.

i have reared 3 stagmomantis before-limbata (easiest), californica (not bad but a b!tch to incubate), and carolina (hardest)

this is a genus where theres a higher nymphal mortality than species like creobroter or something like that

they r not as bad as tenodera but r pretty darn close
Gotta admit I'm not thrilled to see that, especially as I have a Tenodera sinensis to hatch. I plan on incubating it closer to spring. Thanks though for the list, and congrats on your achievements. I hope to have some great results, but time will tell.

Wow - great to hear that they hatched Cosby and thanks Agent A for all that information!

Those are some great pictures - especially that close up.
I am excited, but feeling a bit overwhelmed by it all. ;)

Thanks, photographing the nymphs are a difficult task - especially trying to use a extreme macro which requires them to remain still for awhile for me to locate them in the shot and get it focused/setup.

I didn't bother trying to get enough shots to do a focus stack for better results as that would have been impossible. They are very fast and always on the move. It took me about 15 photos until I got the one I showed, which still required over an hour in post-processing to correct. :D

As you can see in the first few photos there are two ooths in that incubating container. Well the bottom ooth (#11) hatched Sunday.. and the top ooth (#10) is currently hatching today! Currently it has about 30 nymphs that have hatched, and so far no more wasps. :D

Those are so cute! It makes me look forward to hatching my first ooths in the spring :)

As I mentioned earlier the other wild ooth (#10), started hatching today and I noticed it about noon. This ooth without a doubt had the parasitic wasps - but still mantis nymphs survived and hatched. :D

I was hoping to move them into my nymph habitat with the others that hatched two days ago today; however, there are still more nymphs hatching from the ooth. Here is a photo of nymphs hatching from the ooth (the other ooth in the photo was the one that hatched Sunday)..

ooth10.jpg

Thanks for responding :D I didn't have any luck finding that screen locally so I tried the pantyhose route I read about.

Hot gluing cut pantyhose to cover the openings was ridiculously hard! I was finishing the last few inches of the last of the large side windows when the hose got snagged and had a "runner"..

So when running errands earlier with my wife she had to make a stop at Jo-Ann fabrics. I thought they might have some mesh/lace in the fabric section - lots of searching and I found this Organza fabric. It is a tiny mesh that will keep in the flies and was less than $5 for a yard (6 feet long as it is doubled on the roll, and 58" tall) -- more than enough to do a dozen large habitat openings. As it is a mesh the hot glue goes right through the fabric making it a breeze to install.

It has a mirror finish (as it is used on gowns) and isn't clear so photos are basically out - but no fruit flies can escape and I can see through it just fine to keep a eye on them.

ooth-home.jpg

oh!!! another note on stagmos
keep that ooth!! more may hatch from it in the coming weeks
Thanks, I will indeed keep it incubating as I have then once I remove the hatched nymphs tomorrow. I figured a few days would allow late hatchings, never would have though a few weeks.

That is great news. Congrats on the hatch :)
Thanks it is a great "problem" to have - so many mantis nymphs. ;)

Those are so cute! It makes me look forward to hatching my first ooths in the spring :)
I agree. They are so small and fast though, it takes a bit of the cuteness away if you are having to track after a escapee. Best of luck with your ooths - it is quite the experience. :D

Out of the new ooth hatch (#10) yesterday I had about 25 that were put in with the other nymphs today - minutes ago.

Sadly it was a massacre in the incubation container as I misted the day before the hatch and several drown. I even used a needle to poke holes in the water droplet and I got all the water removed after a few got stuck/drown - and they still seemed to get stuck on the droplet area afterwards I. I lost about 20 nymphs which I find weird as the water was gone when most hatched - perhaps most were simply mis-molts that fell to the bottom and became entangled with the other nymphs when I moved the container.

Anyway, I fed the nymphs in the habitat Melanogaster fruit flies, feeding about 50, to see what they would do. After watching for about 5 minutes I watched at least 4 mantises catch and eat the flies. Now with them eating flies at least I feel they have a chance to make it to adults. As in their current state they are so fragile to the point it is ridiculous.

Wow Thomas... I bet is a little mind boggling??? remember... this is supposed to be fun... breath... sound like you are learning... You are doing fine...

Wow Thomas... I bet is a little mind boggling??? remember... this is supposed to be fun... breath... sound like you are learning... You are doing fine...
Thanks, yeah it is a bit much but has been fun. Other than the container massacre it has been going smoothly. The organza fabric is working great - I saw a few flies inbetween the screen mesh and the fabric, they eventually give up and go back into the mantis area inside the screen. :D

I'm just planning on the next stage when I start to separate them. I found access to 6oz deli cups 5 for $1, or 12oz 3 for $1, (all at Dollar tree) so I'm trying to figure out which is best - then get to buying a mass quantity and modifying the lids to have them ready in time. ;)

I wish i could find ooths where i live but it is nearly impossible.
Besides your own property you can try looking at local city parks and other areas you can get permission to look. Also ask some friends or neighbors - even if you don't find any there they may be able to ask their friends/family for you and get more areas to look that way too. They are bound to be a few places nearby where you can find some.
thumbs-up2.gif

Latest posts