My damaged wild ooth hatched

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The larger L3 nymphs have been moved to larger homes. They are now in 9 ounce cups and got plenty of room for now. :D

I got the idea for these cups from Bug Trader, here are his instructions. Funny looking at his instructions he used 9oz cups too. At Walmart I saw they sell clear cups in 9, 16, and 22 ounce sizes.

The only downside is the cup lid sits there (gravity fit) and if knocked over it will fall off. My wife's crazy cat knocked one over while I was sleeping earlier, but thankfully it landed in my 5 gallon bucket of coconut fiber beside the shelf (it didn't hurt anything and the nymph stayed in the cup - some coconut is still on top of the lid). ;)

9ozcups.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks good... Lots of room to grow... in no time you'll be making bigger ones... :stuart:

Looks good... Lots of room to grow... in no time you'll be making bigger ones... :stuart:
Thanks. Yeah I am amazed at how large some of the L3 nymphs are now, they are definitely growing. Only problem is I don't have enough hands to get them all out at once. :D

I plan on keeping several of them, but as they have now seemed to settled down and feeding great, I might see about trading/selling them on the classifieds. I just have to get some heat packs first before making such a post though.

best price I found..on ebay...fish supply guy.. 72+ hour was a good price...

Just an update on the nymphs that hatched.

I have kept five of the nymphs, four of them are L4, and yesterday one molted to L5. Here are a few shots of my L5 girl as of today. Her antenna are fine, it seems to be shorter as one is closer to the camera. ;)

I'm quite happy with them as now they are getting somewhere, I guess it would be the young teenager stage. :D

nymph11-1-L5-6.jpg

nymph11-1-L5-10.jpg

They are too cute Thomas... and growing into a nice young lady..LOL

Thanks for the update...

Well the same nymph from the last photos was the first to molt to L6 today - nymph #1 from Ooth 11. Counting the segments from the first photo it appears to be female with 5 segments or 6 depending on how you count it. ;)

Her wing buds are much more pronounced, and actually look like tiny wings. So how many instar stages are there to adulthood in this species - is it L8 is adult like most others?

She now is starting to seem like a mantis instead of just a nymph. :D

ooth11-1-l6-1.jpg

ooth11-1-l6-2.jpg

ooth11-1-l6-3.jpg

ooth11-1-l6-4.jpg

She is a good looking girl... I don't know much about these.. Sorry.. great pics, thanks for sharing!

She is a good looking girl... I don't know much about these.. Sorry.. great pics, thanks for sharing!
Thanks. She is one of the more tamed ones I have too, although it seems the bigger she gets the faster she likes to run on my arms. ;)

Latest posts