911– please help! Orchid nymph stuck in molt

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ceecee

Reaction score
 I found this guy like this half an hour ago. He is really struggling!    It looks like his front legs are stuck inside a molt that is too hard.   I was able to tease off some of the skin and I misted Around him a little bit, hoping to soften up what’s left.   Please help! This is excruciating to watch Why are his hind legs extended like that? He is still definitely alive and trying to struggle, but I don’t know how much energy he has left.  First-time mantis person... I keep him inside a terrarium and spray with water once or twice a day. He has been eating well, D. hydei.

6F08E1F8-E78B-451F-86D6-39DF32F62C18.jpeg

View attachment BD1E9978-D9FA-4267-8249-36A35C1043A0.MOV
9744D0EB-5F6E-4A9C-BB8A-C8A3393565D4.jpeg

My suggestion, although I'm no expert, is to tape/secure the already shed skin to his/her usual shedding stick or branch and leave it alone. I've tagged a couple of knowledgeable people who have provided molting suggestions before and who are much more experienced.

You may also want to scroll further through the health topic... some molting issues were recently addressed. 

Good luck to you both! Keep us posted. ☺️

@Predatorhousepet @MantisGirl13 @River Dane

@Ceecee Sorry about the mismolt, but he looks alive for now.

I’d say the same as @Synapze and hold him by the exuviae or attach it to the underside of a surface. Make sure to have something soft below him in case he successfully frees himself, like a damp paper towel, loose moist soil, or even just your hand. Don’t let him fall too far, but make sure he has enough room to dangle freely. 

Also, it’s kind of hard to tell from the pictures and the video, but what part of his raptorials and how much are still stuck in the molt?

@Ceecee Sorry about the mismolt, but he looks alive for now.

I’d say the same as @Synapze and hold him by the exuviae or attach it to the underside of a surface. Make sure to have something soft below him in case he successfully frees himself, like a damp paper towel, loose moist soil, or even just your hand. Don’t let him fall too far, but make sure he has enough room to dangle freely. 

Also, it’s kind of hard to tell from the pictures and the video, but what part of his raptorials and how much are still stuck in the molt?
It’s really unfortunate, but almost the entire raptorials were trapped in a hardened molt.   I was able to free most of him delicately with a pin, but it looks like his hind legs are already bent in a strange directions, and even if he survives, he probably won’t live long in that deformed position  ?.   I was able to free him except for the front legs & prop him up on moist moss so that he is at least comfortable.  The breeder took one look and said he is probably a goner and I should put him out of his misery, but I just   Want to at least give him the night. I’m very sad about it, but the breeder is a nice guy at least and is offering me another one for free, since we live close by.  I’m kind of heartbroken and want to know what I can do to prevent this thing in the future? Give him more mesh/material for leverage, or  spray the enclosure down more often? 

View attachment 55173939152__BA22F4C2-4D03-4F12-87C4-512257F371C4.MOV

I’m kind of heartbroken and want to know what I can do to prevent this thing in the future? Give him more mesh/material for leverage, or  spray the enclosure down more often? 

View attachment 11023
Personally, I would give him a few days, especially if he begins to show any interest in eating. Trust me, you're suffering more than he is. 

As for prevention, if you're maintaining the humidity and providing enough mesh areas or branches to hang from for molting, there's little else you can do to prevent mis-molts... it just happens. Some species are more susceptible to mis-molts. Do you have a good care sheet for his species? If not, check out www.keepinginsects.com.

Please don't be hard on yourself. If your breeder says he is a goner, go ahead and ask if he'll send you another, but I would still give this little guy a chance. 

Hope this helps make you feel better at least a little. Good luck to you both! ☺️

If your mantis is not able to move on it's own there is no chance it can make it to it's next molt in order to heal itself. It needs some freedom of movement to be able to accomplish this, otherwise you are prolonging the inevitable. If the breeder saw it first hand and believes there is no hope they are probably right. I am sorry, I am not sure anything can be done to save your mantis. Mismolts are just awful but other than increasing humidity right before and giving them a good gripping surface to molt from there isn't much you can do to prevent them. Not all mantises can be saved after a mismolt, I've had to put down several that were beyond help myself, it sucks but it just comes with the hobby of raising mantids. 

Do you know where the mantis tried to molt from? Maybe something can be done to improve the area so a mismolt is less likely to happen to the next one.

Sorry to hear about your mantis mismolt. I havent seen such mismolts with my mantids, but do what the others are suggesting .... And nice that the breeder gives you a new one.

(to bad i can't see the vids)

How is he now?

- MantisGirl13
 Sorry I didn’t update right away, but he died and I was kind of torn up about it.  I Took a week and try to reevaluate my setup.  I believe the live orchids were sucking up too much moisture from the atmosphere, so I decided to partially close the lid  and to spray down more often.  Breeder (Vlodek) Was so nice and gave me a second one, and I am hoping I can take better care of this one. I am posting a video of him eating a fruit fly. Very nervous for his first molt at my place!

I am so sorry he didn't make it. I think you should increase the amount of humidity by spraying more often. 

- MantisGirl13

Latest posts