A good beginner species

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Summers

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have read that a good beginner species is the giant asian mantid. I like the look of this one two being a nice green colour. Is this the best one or does anyone have any other recommendations?

I will be looking to get one at the beginning of April once ive moved into my new place so if anyone is selling any around then it would be perfect :)

Thanks,

Hi all,

I have read that a good beginner species is the giant asian mantid. I like the look of this one two being a nice green colour. Is this the best one or does anyone have any other recommendations?

I will be looking to get one at the beginning of April once ive moved into my new place so if anyone is selling any around then it would be perfect :)

Thanks,

Hi Summers, I love the giant asian, they eat good, are a big mantis, very colorful and friendly IMO! And best of all I always have some! :lol: Plus the babies are all decendants from movie stars parents!

Last edited by a moderator:
Those are fine but the adult size must be taken into consideration. I recommend the African Mantis.

Thanks for the advice :)

Hi Summers, I love the giant asian, they eat good, are a big mantis, very colorful and friendly IMO! And best of all I always have some! :lol: Plus the babies are all decendants from movie stars parents!
lol yeah :lol:

I just really like the look of these. I might get one, or two :lol:

Those are fine but the adult size must be taken into consideration. I recommend the African Mantis.
The tank i have will more than accomodate 2 full size giant chinese mandids so thats not so much an issue at all :)

The Giant Asians are very good for beginners, but so are Africans.

I had an ooth from both The giant asian and african. I only have 2 left from the african's that hatched, but I may have done something wrong to have such a massive deaths. The two still alive are looking good. The giant asians that hatched I still have, 25ish still alive, though they are younger.

I think my "skill" improved between the two hatchings and will make a determination on which one I would like to concentrate on until I am ready for another species. I think I have a male and female african, so hope to get an ooth out of them to try it one more time.

More of the Giant Asians hatched than the africans, so odds are I will have more reach adult (at least I would think)

I am still new to this, just passing along what happened to me. I am sure others have had much better success, as I hope to next generation.

Once I get a good success rate with these, I would like to move to a more exotic mantis

I had an ooth from both The giant asian and african. I only have 2 left from the african's that hatched, but I may have done something wrong to have such a massive deaths. The two still alive are looking good. The giant asians that hatched I still have, 25ish still alive, though they are younger.
25! How do you keep all of those?!? Are they in seperate containers? That sounds like quite the handful you have there! :lol:

I think i will stick to one or possibly 2 for now. I would like to try mating them but i have a long time to go before i try that i think :)

Thanks for the advice :) lol yeah :lol:

I just really like the look of these. I might get one, or two :lol:

The tank i have will more than accomodate 2 full size giant chinese mandids so thats not so much an issue at all :)
When I mentioned size that was for the size of the container and the amount of food they will consume. Also you will need to seperate your tank. Never heard of giant chinese mantids but the asians are a bit bigger.

When I mentioned size that was for the size of the container and the amount of food they will consume. Also you will need to seperate your tank. Never heard of giant chinese mantids but the asians are a bit bigger.
Yeah thats ok. I will probably just start off with one and then may get another. The tank will house two, it can be easily seperated. It was meant to be a fish tank and is a good 14" wide, 12" high and 12" deep :)

I think i got my species name a bit wrong. I think i meant the Giant Asian Mantid. Sorry about that :rolleyes:

Just need to buy some plants and get the tank ready and i will be making a purchase! :D

It depends what you really want - big, agressive monsters, or something you can even keep communally.

Don't miss out the Acromantis formosana! They are easy to breed and take little space. Most of all, they are pretty and have personality - they play dead sometime. Very cute, indeed!

25! How do you keep all of those?!? Are they in seperate containers? That sounds like quite the handful you have there! :lol: I think i will stick to one or possibly 2 for now. I would like to try mating them but i have a long time to go before i try that i think :)
Most of them are in individual cups ... I have one cup that has 2 in it and a good side bug keeper that has about 5 in it. I toss extra extra food into the big keeper and figure meh .... small flies and crickets or each other .... so far they keep apart and have been picking on the feeder bugs ...

I admit it is a PITA to take each container out of the fishtank I use to maintain humidity and individually toss food into each container. It is a bigger PITA when I have to clean the sponges on the bottom, but I dont do that every day.

I am considering using the big bug keeper for the last ooth I have waiting to hatch. I might just leave all of them in it until after the 3rd molt. Sort of the strong survive thing. We shall see when it hatches how my mood is. ;-)

Thats cool, sounds like you have got it all setup :) What will you do when they get a little larger? Bigger cups i guess.

I wonder how many more you will get from that ooth! Well if you need to get rid of any then i might be interested ;-)

Latest posts