A recent find

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wish I knew o f a place like that in cali. I loved dinos as a kid, and anything paleontology related, and i still kinda do.

amazing. I remember going to a beach onthe east coast and finding TONS of shark and crocodile teeth in the beach sand "Scientist cliffs" maybe is the name. I have baskets of shark teeth from there, and a few VERY old scallop like bivalves from the sandstone cliffs from a beach near there. In Washington, I know several places for clam, moonsnail, and the occasional crab fossil, and lots of leaf fossils in shale deposits

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish I knew o f a place like that in cali. I loved dinos as a kid, and anything paleontology related, and i still kinda do.
Look up Sharktooth hill. You have one of the neatest places in your state that I'd love to dig at.

amazing. I remember going to a beach onthe east coast and finding TONS of shark and crocodile teeth in the beach sand "Scientist cliffs" maybe is the name. I have baskets of shark teeth from there, and a few VERY old scallop like bivalves from the sandstone cliffs from a beach near there. In Washington, I know several places for clam, moonsnail, and the occasional crab fossil, and lots of leaf fossils in shale deposits
What kind of shark teeth? Anything rare or unusual? Were they in good condition? Always nice to find a good croc tooth.

can you just go there and dig?
If you mean Shark Tooth Hill no I don't think so. At least not anymore. There is at least one museum that takes people in. I hope to get out there one day.

Some of you may know that I am an avid fossil hunter. The east coast provides a lot of opportunity for finding fossils. Earlier in January I found this American Mastodon tooth in a creek I frequent for fossils. A find like this is usually found by river divers. It is quite a rare find in general but even more so from this particular location. Thought some here might enjoy:

100_1835_zpsbc93902f.jpg
That's pretty rare. Congrats!

What kind of shark teeth? Anything rare or unusual? Were they in good condition? Always nice to find a good croc tooth.
6 or 7 different species all in excellent condition. Species wise...not sure. Pretty sure there are lemon shark in there though

Croc teeth are extremely rare there

I've run across various small fossils and the really big ones were maybe one and a half inch snail shells but I never found anything interesting or worth more than $1. I'm guessing that tooth is worth at least a few hundred.

I've run across various small fossils and the really big ones were maybe one and a half inch snail shells but I never found anything interesting or worth more than $1. I'm guessing that tooth is worth at least a few hundred.
Your location has everything to do with it. Not sure of the strata where you live but I wouldn't expect there to be many vertebrate finds up there. I am fortunate to live on the very fossil rich east coast.

Based on what I see for sale right now I think this tooth would go for more than a few hundred. It really is a nice example. But I don't care what a fossil is worth. Often that seems to be the criteria non fossil hunters/collectors think about when first exposed to the hobby. I can't put a price on my finds. They are priceless to me. You can't put a price on the thrill and experience of the hunt. And to know that I am the first person to ever lay eyes on a fossil really makes them special. Some people hunt to sell, but to me that isn't what it is about.

I didn't look it up, $600? More? Less? I understand that the value in one sense means nothing since you don't plan to sell it but the value other humans attribute to it (it's worth wether expressed in dollar signs or not) is the reason you didn't just leave it there. If I had ever found a fossil worth "$20" I probably would have learned more about the hobby.

I didn't look it up, $600? More? Less? I understand that the value in one sense means nothing since you don't plan to sell it but the value other humans attribute to it (it's worth wether expressed in dollar signs or not) is the reason you didn't just leave it there. If I had ever found a fossil worth "$20" I probably would have learned more about the hobby.
It is worth whatever someone will pay for it. I've seen examples like that going for near 1K.

I don't really think of these things in monetary terms. True, some things are more rare and some fossils are common in some locations and very rare in others. But people often do look at this type of thing in monetary terms. A question I get asked often is how much something is worth. I can never really answer that. I don't buy fossils because there is no fun in that.