A recent find

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here in NY we have the Penn Dixie Fossil Park, where it was a prehistoric lake, where you can find trilobites and fool's gold very easily. It was a cool place to go to during a field trip.
I spent two days collecting at Penn Dixie this summer. Much different than what we do here but I found some good stuff.

All i have to show is my shark tooth collection :(

I'll have to check out that fossil forum you spoke of, Rick. It seems like since i live right by the Chesapeake Bay and Potomac river i should be able to get into the hobby?

All i have to show is my shark tooth collection :(

I'll have to check out that fossil forum you spoke of, Rick. It seems like since i live right by the Chesapeake Bay and Potomac river i should be able to get into the hobby?
What do you mean ALL you have is your shark tooth collection. I love collecting/finding sharks teeth! There are so many species of shark to be found. You live in a great location for them too. The fossil forum is just like this forum but for fossils.

Shark teeth are lovely, but next to that large fossil of yours, my shark teeth look like nothing!

At one point i did separate them all by species, but my sister didn't realize that and put them all back into one box :/

I also found what i believe are stingray molars/teeth.

My favorite teeth to find are tiger shark, white tip, and an extinct mako species. (i have 2 of those, not sure how rare they are?)

Shark teeth are lovely, but next to that large fossil of yours, my shark teeth look like nothing!

At one point i did separate them all by species, but my sister didn't realize that and put them all back into one box :/

I also found what i believe are stingray molars/teeth.

My favorite teeth to find are tiger shark, white tip, and an extinct mako species. (i have 2 of those, not sure how rare they are?)
Well you can't go off size really. There are many species of fossil shark teeth that are far more rare than a mastodon tooth. While a mastodon tooth is very striking, in the grand scheme of things it isn't really a rare fossil. There are certain species of shark I am still looking to find that are very rare. And then you might find something that is very rare in one location but not another. And then you get some shark fossils that are rare everywhere, like Paratodus benedeni. Then of course some tooth positions are more rare than others.

To most people a fossil shark tooth is a fossil shark tooth is a fossil shark tooth. Collecting stuff like this is in many ways just like other things and only those that do it really understand why one is "better' than another. Same can be said about coins, stamps, mantids, etc. I have some pretty rare stuff but I like finding them all.

I will check out the fossil forums. Maybe the white mountains or even our coast might have spots. There is alot of granite here though ^.^

I will check out the fossil forums. Maybe the white mountains or even our coast might have spots. There is alot of granite here though ^.^
Yes come look at thefossilforum.com. I am sure there are areas around you with fossils. I went up to Western NY this summer to dig for trilobites. It is much different than what we do down here though.