A. Versicolor or P. Metallica?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rs4guy

Reaction score
I am going to get my first T soon, definitly an aboreal sp., and I think I've narrowed it down to these 2 sp., leaning more towards the veriscolor due to it being slightly more beginner. Anyways, tips, advise, enclosure advise etc please?

Thanks guys.

I would say A. versicolor for your first. There is a learning curve in everything and the versi is alot cheaper if something bad happens.

Definitely A . versicolor. It is a calm, colorful, handleable species. P. metallica is an aggressive, fast, and nasty tarantula. A bite will leave you in a lot of pain, so they are definitely not for any beginner. They'll also cost you a bomb, with slings reaching over $300 and adults reaching past $600 each. A. versicolor will probably only cost you $30 each.

I have a 8x8x12" exo terra nano, that should be good for its whole life? or would I be better off with a 12x12x16"? I will raise in deli cups, then once it gets large enough transfer tot he exo terra permenently.

I found a 1" versicolor sling for 20$, captive bred. Males are more colorful and a bit smaller, but are they more or less agressive than females? Also rough lifespan?

I found a 1" versicolor sling for 20$, captive bred. Males are more colorful and a bit smaller, but are they more or less agressive than females? Also rough lifespan?
Males are always a little more skittish than females. You can always find them at reptile expos and pet stores.

Well, I finally grabbed the Versi sling, bout the diameter of a 50 cent piece, and super freindly and active. Keeping it in a 32oz cup with coc fiber and sticks/leaves. Already made a nice web up top, ate a few flies. I'm in love! I'll have pics soon.

howa bout a pink toe (Avicularia avicularia)?

they're fun to play with :D

mine is nice to handle but some times he/she gets excited and jumps!

thats why i gotta keep it close to the ground when handling.

Defensive is really a more accurate term than aggressive in any event. ;)

Congrats on the female versi -- although do take that sexing with a grain of salt. Most T breeders I know have told me that it is difficult to reliably sex them at that size. Males tend to be much shorter lived in any T species. Do be prepared for the dreaded Avic "poop cannon". :D

Ive already been sprayed with that lovely wwhite poop haah. I have no way to know the sex for at least a few molts, and that's cool, no worries. It is the sweetest little spidey.

Here are some pics of my sling I promised.

IMG_8021.jpg

IMG_8017.jpg

He's lovely, a wonderful shade of blue. I named him Achilles

Nice , to the reply above a versi is a pink toe also if I'm not mistaken if you do well with your sling I must say there's nothing like owning a P.Metallica yes expensive but ibdont think color wise I could make a better choice mine are very nasty ,fast and aggravated very easy but I can look at them for hours I've owned many sp from tiny to giant bird eaters , earth movers and more but the P.Met is by far the nicest the blue is so intense and the yellow is awesome next to the blue another really nice sp with color is a green bottle blue very nice colors and alot cheaper then the P.Metalica ; ) enjoy : ) Chris !

P. Metallica are no where near 300 each now. You can pick up a sling for anywhere from $100-175 and adults are conmon to find at $300-450.

as for viv size avicularia are active I wouldnt house them in anything smaller than a ten gallon vert as they get to be 5-6" across. P. metallica and other poecilotheria get to be 7-9" on average depending on the locale.

prepare for the beautifull blue vericolor to lose all that blue in about two years as well. They mature into a marroon annd brown color with some siverish hairs. If you wanted an avic meant to be beautifull Id consider A.purpurea, A.laeta, A,minatrix and others.

Also keep in mind males die shortly after reaching maturity while females can live 15-20 years.

Michael

Longevity is somewhat subjective but I don't think there's any evidence mature female pokies ever make it past the decade mark.

Yes, I have done all my homework, I now have 2 slings, one juvi. 2 A.P. slings, and the versi who is just starting to get HER adult colors. Next moult she should lose the blue fully.

Oh and Chrisp, pink toes are AVic Avic, very similar but in fact different species, same sub species.... Aviculara