Abandon Ship !

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Digger

Reaction score
Posted pictures of my nymph condos a day or two ago. Now I can't locate the images !

Had all the condos stacked under a table on the deck in case of rain. Storm it did. At 12:30 am, I went out to make sure all was ok. I lifted up one of the condominiums - it was heavy. FILLED with rain water !

I called the Coast Guard and went into emergency mode, running each container into the kitchen and carefully removing the lid. Every nymph survived - even in houses that were over half filled with H2O. Thankfully the stocking liners (on the top covers) make superb gripping surfaces. So every house was dismantled, dried and re-inhabited. Some of the L1s were shaken up. But most of the L2s thought it was a great adventure and were chattering wildly about it.

One of the last condos to be emptied had an L1 runt in it - clinging upside down to a tiny twig. Without thinking I said, "Hey ! How ya doin' little buddy?" Thus it struck me a second later to name him "Gilligan." If it's a she, perhaps "Jill."

I say go with Gilligan either way. Mantises don't have silly gender issues with names like us humans. If you want a gender neutral name however you could always go with S. S. Minnow after the ship on Gilligan's Island that stranded them there. Minnow sounds like a name a little runt would have. XD

I'm glad everyone made it through the storm okay.

Posted pictures of my nymph condos a day or two ago. Now I can't locate the images !

Had all the condos stacked under a table on the deck in case of rain. Storm it did. At 12:30 am, I went out to make sure all was ok. I lifted up one of the condominiums - it was heavy. FILLED with rain water !

I called the Coast Guard and went into emergency mode, running each container into the kitchen and carefully removing the lid. Every nymph survived - even in houses that were over half filled with H2O. Thankfully the stocking liners (on the top covers) make superb gripping surfaces. So every house was dismantled, dried and re-inhabited. Some of the L1s were shaken up. But most of the L2s thought it was a great adventure and were chattering wildly about it.

One of the last condos to be emptied had an L1 runt in it - clinging upside down to a tiny twig. Without thinking I said, "Hey ! How ya doin' little buddy?" Thus it struck me a second later to name him "Gilligan." If it's a she, perhaps "Jill."
the pics are on my hatch thread. Glad you saved them! How about Edmond Fitzgerald lol

Everyone died on the Edmund Fitzgerald, though. :(

That must have been terrifying... I can only imagine the horror you must have felt picking up that first container to find it filled with water. So glad everyone is okay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to all for the excellent naming suggestions for the runt survivor! Coneja: yeah; I had a real "sinking" feeling as I lifted the top of the first flooded house. Mostly expected an H.P. Lovecraft-esque scene of bloated bodies and antennae tips sticking out of the waterline. :boat:

Wow, I'm so glad everyone was okay! Mantids are tough little buggers. They're still surprising me on just how tough they really are!! I guess that's why there are so many species, all around the world. ;)

Latest posts