Acrylic Cages

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Engraver30

Reaction score
Here are a few of the cages that I have set up for Mantids and a couple other critters. Any suggestions for making my mantid cages better would be appreciated.

Thanks for looking.

splitcageopen.jpg

splitcage.jpg

setup.jpg

ratcage.jpg

Wow I love these, if I lived nearer id probably try and nick one! ;)

Do they stand up well to condensation? Perhaps you could cut some large window type holes and seal them with mesh so there is more air flow.

Good job!

My only suggestion is to make sure the enclosures have better ventilation. Although mantids need humidity, poor ventilation can cause problems with mold, fungus, and bacteria.

I made a new cage today with the suggestions I recived from everyone. I added a set of holes on two more sides to allow more cross ventilation. Then I put screen on the inside to allow eaiser climbing. I would have used just screen on it instead of holes, but with one of my first attemps in building cages, my wonderful cat decided to see what was in it and broke the screen falling into the cage. If I was not so mad, I would have laughed when I saw her stuck in the cage. Fortunatly, neither the cat or the mantid I had in the cage was injured, but I learned a valuable lesson about what kind of cages to keep in my house. This new version is both cat proof and better ventilated.

Thank you everone for your suggestion and if you have any more, please let me know.

Here are a couple pics of the new model

singlecage.jpg

OGIGA

I am lucky with my full time job. I run and program a cnc router. I get to work with acrylic and some times we have small pieces left over that I am told to get rid of. So I take them home and play with them. The acrylic is about 3/8" thick and so far it has not cost me anything. The hinges, feet, glue cost me a few dollars each to make. With my newest cages, I have built the hinges into the design of the cage and I might build in a set of feet in my next versions. I am really enjoying making cages for my mantids and other critters. To me , making the cages and taking care of the manitds is a real stress releiver.

Thanks for asking.

Tony

Nice work!! HOw long does it take to build one?

You can have the opening on the side instead of top, just turn the cage 90 deg, that way, you can have access into the cage not worrying about mantis escaping as they will hang on the top of the cage instead, it is handy especially when it comes to feeding and cleaning.

I agree, they look exellent, and all that extra netting for ventilation will also provide the mantids a safer route to the top and better gripped perches for moulting..

Wow, thank you for all of your positive feedback. I wasn't planning on trying to sell them, but mabay I should. Mabay I will start by selling the single chamber cage that I just posted. I would probably sell this version for about $30.00 plus whatever shipping is. I think I am going to make another version like Yen_Saw suggested. If I get the time, mabay I will make it tonight and post it tommorrow. It would also sell for about the same price. If anyone would be interested feel free to shoot me an email or if anyone has anymore suggestions, please let me know. I really want to make this cage perfect for mantids.

Well thanks again for all of your positive suggestions

Tony

[email protected]

haha, that is awesome! What a great complementary hobby! And I mean, it is great because so many of the cages availible don't really suit mantids.

Latest posts