Adult Idolo molting enclosure

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

papilio_

Reaction score
My female Idolo has been sub for over three months , so it should be any time now! Partially through reading old posts about the problems Idolos tend to have with their maturing molts, and also with the generous advice of Precarious, I've come up with this enclosure. Largely putting aesthetics aside and designing the housing in such a way that she'll have little option of choosing to hang from a spot too near the ground as they often do, I'm hoping that this will offer the best chance for success.

While browsing at Target this white, foam-covered shelf lining immediately caught my eye, and my observations to this point have been that the material is nearly perfect for the task. In her previous enclosure within which I had tried all sorts of types of twigs on which she might move about, it seemed that no matter how well-textured the branches she would nearly always have a difficult time establishing a firm footing, typically I'd see her taking numerous stabs at the twigs before her tarsal claws found their grip. With this material nearly every step she takes is immediately secure and I've not, since she was much younger and smaller, seen her able to maneuver with such ease. The foam clearly poses no threat of damaging her feet the way wire window screening has been known to do, and it also appears to be far more secure than the surface of the common net style enclosures.

The housing is an acrylic T enclosure, 6x6x12 and set on end. On my first construction which had the foam hot-glued across the ceiling and completely down each side I discovered that the heat lamp was providing little effect with that foam in the way (I've chosen to have it shining from the side so as not to obstruct my view), so this newer version leaves an opening lower down on one side, with only vine branches hot-glued across it should she need to find her way across the gap. There is a 2-inch deep tub on the floor filled with humidity foam and topped with spag moss in order to keep the humidity up, and with the heat lamp turned on during the day at a distance of about a foot the environment remains at about 90F and 60% humidity (with the humidity climbing at night as the lamp is switched off by the timer).

As an indication of her ease in moving about the new housing, I've put 5 or 6 BBs in at a time and found them all gone within about ten minutes. When she had only the twigs on which to maneuver this would typically take far longer, and I had always felt bad for her watching the way she'd had to struggle to get around. Those are such tiny feet for an enormous insect like this.

As I didn't wish to mess up the acrylic by hot-gluing directly onto it, I've used these strips of masking tape as anchors. I'd always thought that hot-glue adhered to pretty much everything! Surprisingly, I found that it adhered securely neither to the tape nor the foam, so on my second re-build I first applied a thin zig-zag of glue to the tape before adding the bead of glue for the foam, and then applied another bead above the foam which drips through the mesh well enough to adhere to the glue beneath. What remains to be added is some type of perch from which she'll be able to find the correct angle at which to expand and dry her wings, but that will need to be something which won't be an attraction for her to hang from while molting.

One thing I've always loved about these T housings is the high quality of the acrylic walls, I'm able to take very sharp photos right through it. And I've moved her from my inverts room up here to my desktop, not only so that I'll have a greater chance of watching the molt when it happens but also so that I'll be able to intervene if possible should she get into any trouble. The earlier maturing molt of my male Idolo would have ended in its death had I not happened to be there right then, it had chosen a spot near enough to the bottom that it would have hit ground before completely exiting its exuvia and I had to reach into the enclosure and lift the branch by a couple of inches, holding it there throughout the second half of the molt.

Any suggestions or comments are most welcome!

Well Papilio I am no expert... we are both in the same boat with our idolo's... but I think it is a wonderful en-closer...

How old are theses pics? And she's been in pre-sub for 3 months now? I'm in the same boat aswell and I just want to take some notes. Mys girls been in sub for about 2 months

Last edited by a moderator:
I just took those last night. Precarious says that Idolo females take forever to mature ... which is why it's rarely if ever possible to pair siblings, the males just don't last long enough. With experience, I'd guess it may be possible to slow down the male and power-feed the female to up the chances. Maybe.

I keep her enclosure at about 90F and 50-60% humidity, feeding about 10-15 BB flies per week. The sibling male matured on Nov. 14.

BTW she's sub-adult, not pre-sub. Sorry if I may have mis-stated this earlier. I'm still such a mantis noob!

The extraordinary male ... RIP

Very nice enclosure that will allow for some stunning photos to be taken through it too. If mayonnaise or cheeseballs start to get packed and sold in those I'll be all set.
laugh.gif

Looks like you should have solved the molt problem with such a setup - best of luck.

As always amazing photos Papilio! It continues to shock me how much "hair" is found on insects. :D

Well Papilio I am no expert... we are both in the same boat with our idolo's... but I think it is a wonderful en-closer...
My thanks as always dmina! It was quite simple to construct and will, I hope, leave me with a beautiful and properly formed adult.

Very nice enclosure that will allow for some stunning photos to be taken through it too. If mayonnaise or cheeseballs start to get packed and sold in those I'll be all set.
laugh.gif

Looks like you should have solved the molt problem with such a setup - best of luck.

As always amazing photos Papilio! It continues to shock me how much "hair" is found on insects. :D
Cheeseball version will be next! ;)

I hope that you're right and that this does the trick. Precarious shared with me these early posts which makes the likelihood of a successful molt seem a dire prospect to be sure! I would so love to pair her when ready and get my own Idolo ooth. :D

Tererrium with lots of twigs

Idolomantis diabolica

Here's one of my favorite pics of the Idolo at L3. I'd brought it to our MinnVerts meet last June 7, it fascinated everyone and was the hit of the party!

Hi, I was wondering what exactly is the material that you have used for her to molt to adulthood successfully in? I have 2 males and one female and the female is going to be sub adult soon and I would like to know the name of the white material. Thanks!

-Matt

Hi, I was wondering what exactly is the material that you have used for her to molt to adulthood successfully in? I have 2 males and one female and the female is going to be sub adult soon and I would like to know the name of the white material. Thanks!

-Matt
Hey Matt,

It's a foam-covered mesh sold as shelf-liner at Walmart.

I was encouraged by the ease with which she could get a grip on the surface, however someone later made a comment that in preparing for a molt Idolos wrap their tarsal claws in a more secure way around the twig ... I don't know if this is true, but it caused me to wimp out and add some vine twigs (excellent gripping material I've found) on top of the foam to give her another option. Then another modification, I angled the sticks about 30 degrees instead of having them flat against the ceiling, so this took away the option for her to use the foam.

When the molt occurred she settled in a position perpendicular to the slant of the twigs, so she didn't take advantage of the diagonal placement and I could just as well have left them in the earlier orientation.

I suspect that all would have gone just as well with only the foam as I started with ... unfortunately I don't have more Idolos to allow me to experiment and discover for sure what works and what doesn't, but in any case all went well and it was a great relief when she molt successfully.

Awesome! Thanks as always! I will invest in that this weekend. Is it just the moss that kept the humidity up? When my female molts to sub adult will she take over a month till she molts to adult? I have the heat up but the humidity is not that high right now. Is it crucial to be over 40% humidity?

-Matt

My girl was sub for nearly four months! :blink:

The moss is really just for aesthetics, it's covering a pad of humidity foam which sits in a tupperware tub and is kept as wet as I can keep it. I had been using a heat lamp to raise the temps to about 95F as was suggested in a well-regarded caresheet. But Precarious told me that these high temps aren't necessary for the species and only serve to raise their metabolism and dry them out. And I figure that a lower metabolism should extend their lifespan somewhat. With the enclosure at my room temp of about 80-85F (the apartment building keeps it super hot in here and I have no thermostat), the humidity is typically over 70%. Humidity is quite important, and is very much so at molting time. The relatively lower temps help keep the humidity up.

Ah very interesting! I will keep that humidity in mind. Lets hope and pray that my female does not stay for sub adult for that period of time. I am hoping to breeding these and I hope my pre sub female molts to sub soon since the males are already sub! Wish me luck! Pictures will be up soon.

-Matt

Hahaha I just realized how similar out profile pics are!

Ha! I see what you mean, nice! :)

With Idolos, the males mature so much sooner than the females that it's rarely possible to mate siblings, unfortunately. My male matured around Thanksgiving.

But indeed, good luck to us both!! :D

Yes. I may need a male within the coming months if my males mature too early. I really hope the female molts to sub soon. She is super fat and really huge! This species is so stunning and by far my favorite to keep. The temp is probably around 85F right now and the humidity I need to get up to at least 55% its probably around 40% right now. I hope they all successfully molt to adult when that time comes. Can you PM me your email so we can discuss cages for Idolos and photography?

All the best, Matthew

I am so confused... heat up?... heat down?... humidity?... and I know I don't have the right stuff for them to hold on to... They are in an enclosure full of fake flowers..in which they have molted fine in the last molts... now I am afraid... I don't have the right stuff... I have no vines in there?.... I know the Idolos have really bad feet... but so far they have done good... but now??? ... I am afraid.. Do I switch out my containers they are in?

In my experience the difficulties don't arrive until they get older and heavier, as subs and especially adults it is all too common for their tiny feet to lose their hold under the massive body weight while molting, they fall and die. But both of mine molted to maturity with few problems, so I think that there may be too much emphasis put on how often they fail to make it.

I know it's confusing, especially regarding their maturing molts. The tricky thing is that as adults they need to be able to find a perch after they drop from their old skin from which they can hang at the appropriate angle, about 45 degrees, so that the inflating wings are pulled straight down by gravity, this helps them form properly. But the trick is that, by adding perches lower down which they can reach while hanging upside-down, at the same time you don't want these perches to be locations they'll select to molt from, as Idolos seem to like to select lower perches for the added protection they offer, and sometimes (this nearly happened with my male) they're so low in the enclosure that the new, soft body hits ground.

Neither did I have the slightest trouble raising them from L2 to about L6, I didn't do anything special for them. But when they near maturity they really do get big, which is cool but also complicates things.

Latest posts