Alexander's Mantids: 2012 - Present

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hate to have to mention the deaths, but it's a part of the thread... Heterodox (adult male Idolo) unfortunately had to be put down after a couple attacks from Baline (adult female). She ended up damaging him so badly that he could no longer climb or hang. It was sad to see him at the bottom of the cage, sinking to the ground. He would try and try to climb up too which was hard to watch. He wasn't going to be able to mate either in this state. I ended up deciding I would put him down, which was difficult to do. I thought, since I was going to put him down anyways, that I should try to place him on her back after removing his head. I did try this, but it didn't end up working. He didn't even do the motions with his abdomen oddly. After trying for about a half hour, and nothing happening, I just ended up feeding him to all my babies. What a way to go... makes me feel bad that it didn't work out, I would have frozen him if I knew it wouldn't work. Ever since I've been trying very hard to find a replacement. I MAY have found one, but it's not certain yet, mostly because I don't know how long my girls will live. RIP Heterodox... He was a beautiful mantis, even if he was bad at mating.

January 10th 2016

Back to the good news, Neptune (male Heterochaeta hatchling) reached adulthood! I woke up and there he was, hangin'! I was able to get some good photos. I'd been waiting for him all day that day, but he held out til night time haha. The Chaeta usually do this to me. Scaredy molters!

neptune_molted_to_adulthood__male_heterochaeta_sp__by_alexandersmantids-d9nmf4q.jpg

neptune_drying_his_wings_by_alexandersmantids-d9nmhq2.jpg

neptune_s_perfect_wings_by_alexandersmantids-d9nmimx.jpg

neptune__perfect_specimen_by_alexandersmantids-d9nmiw2.jpg

January 11th

Blaar (male Phyllocrania paradoxa) reached adulthood too! I'd owned this species before, it was actually my second species. I had a male and a female, Mostro and Kent-Lok. Mostro ended up dying as a subadult, was puking and such. Kent-Lok, the female, made it to adulthood. This time, it was the other way around. The female, Groen, suddenly died one day. She took a very long time to molt, and it was starting to weird me out, and then one day I woke up and she was at the bottom of her container. But now the male made it to adulthood. I'd never gotten to see an adult male with my own eyes so this is a treat for me. He's beautiful. It was odd, after the molt, he had bubbles on his wings. Like liquid pockets, in the same spot on all four wings. I popped them so they could drain. They're still a little swollen but it's much better. I'd never seen anything like that in all my time of owning mantids. Really strange! Because of the bubbles, his wings were spread out, so I put spots of liquid soap under each wing and stuck them together. I will rinse the soap off in a few days, when his wings have fully dried. Not sure if it'll have helped though, he still may not be able to fly in the end. Guess we will see!

blaar__adult_male_phyllocrania_paradoxa_by_alexandersmantids-d9nmj3d.jpg

Cute. It's funny to be handling him, then handling a chaeta haha. He makes the chaeta look even bigger, and the chaeta make him look even smaller.

January 12th

Anastasia (female Idolo) reached L6!

anastasia_molting_to_l6__female_idolomantis_by_alexandersmantids-d9npq42.jpg

anastasia__l6_female_idolomantis_diabolica_by_alexandersmantids-d9npqnq.jpg

This is officially the molting enclosure lol. Who ever is getting ready to molt gets put in!

Shiloh (female Idolo) reached L5.

shiloh__l5_female_idolomantis_diabolica_by_alexandersmantids-d9oa8h8.jpg

shiloh__l5_female_idolo_by_alexandersmantids-d9oa8gm.jpg

January 17th

Peter (male Polyspilota griffinii) reached adulthood.

peter__adult_male_polyspilota_griffinii_by_alexandersmantids-d9oa90w.jpg

peter__adult_male_polyspilota_griffinii_by_alexandersmantids-d9oa8uu.jpg

peter__adult_male_polyspilota_griffinii_by_alexandersmantids-d9oa96b.jpg

January 17th

My adult male Phyllocrania paradoxa, Blaar, died suddenly! He was only an adult for a week. Very disappointing. I have no idea what caused his death. RIP little guy... Hardly got to enjoy you.

January 20th

Willow (female Idolomantis) reached L6!

willow__female_l6_idolomantis_diabolica_by_alexandersmantids-d9pak8a.jpg

She got moved into a bigger home now. :) Baline's old home.

January 21st

Buddha, (male Idolo) reached L5!

buddha__l5_male_idolomantis_diabolica_by_alexandersmantids-d9pakfd.jpg

He is one molt behind the girls. I fed him a lot less than them to ensure this would happen!

January 25th

Neptune started trying to mate with Kamakiri (Heterochaeta). The other night, once I shut the lights off, I suddenly heard rustling, so quickly turned the light back on and saw Kamakiri was trying to eat Neptune! I was able to save him. I separated them for the night, then tried breeding them the next day. Neptune was very interested, and tried again and again but to no avail! Same as what happened with Galactica, who still hasn't mated with my girls either... He tried and tried for a few days and then eventually gave up and stopped trying. I got a video of Neptune trying, because I thought for sure it was going to happen and I wanted to get it on film, but my camera ended up not having enough room on it, plus they didn't mate anyways so I would have been recording forever.

But that night, I waited for them to mate, and accidentally fell asleep... and I woke up to her eating him. That's the last time I'm going to lie down thinking "I won't fall asleep" when waiting for mantids to mate, even if they are "communal". So hopefully either Galactica will try again, or my new sub male (Silver) will reach adulthood and mature before my girls pass away. They're getting up there in age; they've been adults for a while now.

I think Kamakiri's sudden aggression came about because she is going to lay an ootheca soon. She's been living with the others for months now and never tried to eat one til recently. She's trying to fatten up, instinctively trying to make it so she's got a big ol' fertile ooth with tons of babies in it... which actually won't be fertile at all because she ate her willing partner. x_X

Here is the beast:

kamakiri__adult_female_heterochaeta_sp__by_alexandersmantids-d9parrf.jpg

kamakiri_by_alexandersmantids-d9parzy.jpg

January 30th

Silver (male Heterochaeta hatchling) reached adulthood! He's my last male so hopefully he will mate with the girls!

silver__adult_male_heterochaeta_species_by_alexandersmantids-d9qai32.jpg

silver_reached_adulthood__male_heterochaeta_by_alexandersmantids-d9qaimp.jpg

And here is Peter (adult male Polyspilota griffinii), he saw one of the cats the other day and posed!

peter__adult_male_griffin_mantis_posing_by_alexandersmantids-d9qak4a.jpg

Hey bro long time no update were you able to breed chaeta?
Unfortunately my last female passed away, she was 11 months old. Aaagh... it's a pity. So I know only have a male, I'll most likely sell him to someone who needs a male for breeding.

Aww that stinks bro, i have a few sub females that should be due soon, hopefully there as prolific as last year..

February 5th

Amico (original female Heterochaeta) passed away. RIP girl.

February 17th

Received a new adult male Idolomantis from Mantis Kingdom. We named him Einstein.

einstein__adult_male_idolomantis_diabolica_by_alexandersmantids-d9t9y1f.jpg

einstein__adult_male_idolomantis_diabolica_by_alexandersmantids-d9t9xqp.jpg

He was a beautiful specimen. Unfortunately, he died March 2nd. He was a month and 3 days into adulthood, which is often how long male Idolos last after reaching adulthood. He unfortunately did not get the job done before passing.

February 22nd

Anastasia (female Idolo) reached L7 and is a presub.

anastasia__presub_female_idolomantis_diabolica_by_alexandersmantids-d9wfk62.jpg

March 3rd

One of my 3 female Idolos mismolted. RIP Shiloh.

March 8th

Buddha, the male Idolo, reached sub adulthood.

buddha__subadult_male_idolomantis_diabolica_by_alexandersmantids-d9wfjs2.jpg

March 11th

Kamakiri, my last female Heterochaeta, passed away. She was 11 months old. RIP girl... I failed to breed this species and now only have an adult male remaining. He is for sale, if anyone's interested.

March 17th

Baline, my adult female Idolomantis diabolica, passed away at 10 months old. RIP baby... my first ever Idolo to reach adulthood. She was extremely special.

baline_s_last_day__rip_by_alexandersmantids-d9wfmvd.jpg

Here she was, eating her last meal. She passed away the next day. She did not age gracefully, as you can tell, what with all the black spots. I'm not sure where they came from. Tacca is not aging this way. Perhaps it was from when the males had crawled all over her.

March 23rd

LAME and I decided to trade male Idolos. I needed a younger one and he needed an older one. So I sent him Buddha, my sub male, and he sent me Quasimodo, his presub male. The trade worked out perfectly, both made it alive. I received Q March 26th, and Nate also threw in a Tenodera sinensis ooth.

quasi__presub_male_idolomantis_diabolica_by_alexandersmantids-d9xztjr.jpg

Here's Q!

So as of late, I failed to breed Idolos and 'chaeta, but it is not yet over.

Also, GriM (adult female Pnigomantis medioconstricta) is now a year old.

grim_is_a_year_old_by_alexandersmantids-d9xzy5u.jpg

I currently have:

1 adult male Heterochaeta species (for sale)

1 adult male Polyspilota griffinii (for sale)

1 adult female Pnigomantis medioconstricta

1 adult female Idolomantis diabolica

1 L6 (presub) male Idolomantis diabolica

1 L7 (presub) female Idolomantis diabolica

1 L6 female Idolomantis diabolica

Til next time!

Last edited by a moderator:
Some great photos, thanks for sharing. :)

Sounds like you haven't had any luck with your Idolos either, but at least you have another shot with your presub's - so best of luck. Surely you or LAME are bound to make it happen.

Some great photos, thanks for sharing. :)

Sounds like you haven't had any luck with your Idolos either, but at least you have another shot with your presub's - so best of luck. Surely you or LAME are bound to make it happen.
Thank you, and you're welcome! 

Yes, we will certainly make it happen, neither of us are giving up haha.

Latest posts