Alexander's Mantids: 2012 - Present

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well it sounds like you have made up your mind to continue, so it's bound to happen. So the question is which of you will be the first? ;)
Heck, either way we will both benefit from it. As will members on this forum! ☺

Haha what would you not like staring at you? 
Something like your Idolo Einstein (in the photos above). ;) I think that would be enough to scare my wife, making her rethink about her acceptance of my hobby.
scary1.gif

Hey guys! Long time no update! How's everyones mantids doing??

Let's start with April!

April 10th:

Quasimodo reached sub adulthood!

q__subadult_male_idolomantis_diabolica_by_alexandersmantids-da2t4t3.jpg

April 13th:

My second female Idolomantis died. I have NO idea why. She stopped eating and seemed to be getting ready to molt for AGES. I kept trying to feed her because she wouldn't molt, but she refused to eat. Eventually she just passed away... I have no idea why this happened.

April 15th:

Tacca (adult female Idolo) laid an infertile ootheca! I am incubating it none-the-less, just because there's a 1% chance that it may hatch. xD What a messy ooth she laid... all the eggs are pokin' out, lol.

tacca__adult_female_idolomantis_laying_ootheca_by_alexandersmantids-da2t54e.jpg

April 30th:

Oh! I had found some Tenodera sinensis oothecae near a small river at a park. I collected two. They started hatching on the 30th and stopped May 6th. I sent some to Dmina, released some, and am keeping some.

tenodera_sinensis_ootheca_hatching_by_alexandersmantids-da2t5fb.jpg

l1_tenodera_sinensis_nymph_by_alexandersmantids-da2t5pn.jpg

May 7th:

Tacca (Idolo above) turned 1 year old! Old Idolo granny!

May 13th:

Peter, my adult male Polyspilota griffinii, passed away. He was 8 months old. RIP!

May 14th:

Silver, my adult male Heterochaeta, passed away. He was days away from being a year old. RIP!

Side notes:

Turns out Anastasia, my younger female Idolo, is ACTUALLY a subadult! She is getting ready to molt soon, her wing buds swelled up. Quasi is also a sub so it's time I started fattening him up. He will molt just around the perfect time, 2(+?) weeks after Anastasia.

That's all for now. Til next time!

Last edited by a moderator:
May 23rd

The Tenodera sinensis reached L2!

l2_tenodera_sinensis_nymph_by_alexandersmantids-da5du2t.jpg

May 24th 

Anastasia reached adulthood!

adult_female_idolomantis_diabolica__anastasia_by_alexandersmantids-da5du8y.jpg

May 30th

Tacca (adult female Idolo) passed away, she was almost 13 months old. RIP girl!

June 6th

One of the Tenodera sinensis reached L3. 

l3_tenodera_sinensis_by_alexandersmantids-da5due3.jpg

GriM (adult female Pnigomantis medioconstricta) is 14 months old now! Wow! 

Waiting on Q (adult male Idolo) now to reach adulthood! His wing buds are starting to swell now. 

Nice update Alex... They are looking really good and the pics are great.. thanks for sharing

The pic of the nymph eating the leg is kinda creepy.. LOL 

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to hear Tacca passed away, but sounds like she had a full life. Any luck on breeding yet? If not perhaps Anastasia will be the one. :)

Sorry to hear Tacca passed away, but sounds like she had a full life. Any luck on breeding yet? If not perhaps Anastasia will be the one. :)
Yes she did. It's unfortunate that I hadn't succeeded in breeding. I hope to try again soon! 

Sorry for the lack of updates guys! Haven't really had many mantids lately. Been hatching and releasing some Tenodera sinensis but that's about it! Hoping to get back into this hobby soon with some different species. 

Sorry for the lack of updates guys! Haven't really had many mantids lately. Been hatching and releasing some Tenodera sinensis but that's about it! Hoping to get back into this hobby soon with some different species. 
Thank you for sharing!  And we look forward to hearing about your future mantids!

We are also trying to see how many different species we can keep.  :)

Thank you for sharing!  And we look forward to hearing about your future mantids!

We are also trying to see how many different species we can keep.  :)
You're welcome! And thanks!

Yeah it's really fun to see how many different species you can acquire. And raise and breed! Idolos are my favorite.

Latest posts