Alexander's Mantids: 2012 - Present

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
April 23rd 2015

Brexta molted to L5! The claws are bigger, still not 100% though. The walking hairs (hooks) still need to regenerate. That will help a lot. And he also grew his leg back! One more molt and this guy will be a perfect specimen once again. :)

Walking appendages on raptors still not 100%.

Regeneration of the missing leg (top right).

Just bein' a cute little Deroplatys.

Now for the upsetting update...

I checked on Platysil tonight (11 month old, fertile, adult female D. lobata. Mother of my current Deroplatys) and noticed that her wing was sticking to her abdomen in an odd way. I took her out for further examination and after pulling her wing off her side, I quickly realized that she'd injured herself... Some of her guts were visible, and that's what her wing was sticking to. :( She must have fallen in her cage and being so fat, she "popped".

I figured, drying up the wound and closing it would be the best idea. I put her abdomen in luke warm salt water first. Then dabbed honey onto the wound. And once her abdomen dried up, I put glue on the wound and covered it with a small piece of toilet paper. I've moved her to a container for now, rather than let her stay in the big "wild" cage.

A popular member here had used glue to close the same type of wound on a Tenodera sinensis who had fallen and ruptured. The mantid lived a long while afterward and even continued to lay oothecae. I'm hoping that Platysil will be just as lucky.

She will have to stick to small meals from here on out.

Another member I have talked with uses Liquid Skin. I think she said it worked great. I have not tried it myself.

Another member I have talked with uses Liquid Skin. I think she said it worked great. I have not tried it myself.
I unfortunately dont have that.. But maybe i could find some at the dollar store, its worth a look

April 24th

Platysil was still alive... I took her out a while ago though and realized she was really weak. She was hardly moving. She couldn't even stand or hold her head up. Not like her at all. And she kept gently pinching my finger... I've seen this before with previous mantids. I think when in pain, they pinch things.

I couldn't put her in the freezer. Usually that's what I do but I couldn't with her. I tried but it made me feel so bad... I thought to squish her too, but couldn't bring myself to do that either. So I took her into the woods and put her next to a tree. Maybe her last moments being outside will be nice... It's quite cold tonight. It's probably no different than being in a freezer. But I am glad I don't have to see. I was really attached to her. I clipped a wing, just one so as not to disturb her too much. She was disturbed enough.

She died 11 months old. RIP my poor girl... :(

I took some photos of her before I took her outside. She was staring so sightlessly. I'm sure she was already shutting down.

Sweet lady, Im so glad I have afew of your beautiful children!
Same here, I have two as well ;)

Sorry Alex it ended the way it did. I too hate the idea of the freezer but have done it, and also let one let nature take it's course (as it appeared she was not in pain). Either way has disadvantages that must be taken to heart. :(

Sorry for your loss Alex... she was a good little momma.. You did good by her... She is flying free over Rainbow bridge!

Sweet lady, Im so glad I have afew of your beautiful children!
So am I! I'm glad to know she's living on through her nymphs. I've got 3 males myself. I was hoping I'd get a female. Maybe in the future I'd find someone to do a trade, someone who needs males. Contact me if so people!

Same here, I have two as well ;)

Sorry Alex it ended the way it did. I too hate the idea of the freezer but have done it, and also let one let nature take it's course (as it appeared she was not in pain). Either way has disadvantages that must be taken to heart. :(
Yes indeed!

Thanks Thomas. It's never fun to put them down. But sometimes it's necessary... Even if you don't want to do it, sometimes you have to, to cease their suffering.

Sorry for your loss Alex... she was a good little momma.. You did good by her... She is flying free over Rainbow bridge!
Thank you Dmina. She was great. An amazing pet. Yes! Eating all the bugs she can.

April 25th

Man, Brexta's (male Deroplatys lobata's) regenerated leg, broke off again. x_x I checked on him later and it was gone. Damn. Either way he's having a muuuuch easier time getting around than he was before. He's still got a couple molts left to go, it'll probably grow back again before he's an adult.

Oh, and I took some photos of another Chaeta today... He/she was working it for the camera!

He put his head all the way upside down haha!

Last edited by a moderator:
April 28th

1 Heterochaeta died of unknown causes (found him dead at the bottom of his container, poor thing).

1 Heterochaeta mismolted (the night before, I saw him against the side of the lid, I wasn't expecting him to molt, and especially not from the side. I found him on the floor half way in the skin this morning. I sprayed him and pulled the skin off. He is still alive. And despite being quite mangled, is still able to get around and eat and drink and is still quite alert. I must say this species seems resilient.

2 Heterochaeta molted perfectly.

I'm now waiting on the rest! I hope they stay on the molting screen as I sleep!

Here is a video of one molting to L2:

2 Heterochaeta got stuck in their skin... I hadn't meant to fall asleep. I fell asleep with all my animals' lights on, without having fed them, or misted them. It got too dry...

And I found 1 Heterochaeta dead at the bottom of the container again. This is the second unexplained death.

So I've lost four, but the other six have molted to L2. One had mismolted by falling during the molt because he tried doing it against the side. But is alive and getting around and with my help should make it to his next molt.

MAY 2nd

Rezz reached adulthood! He looks just like his pop, Derotor. :)

He's been moved into the "big wild cage"... I'll get photos later.

Latest posts