Amantis nawai

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fisherman_Brazil

Reaction score
Amantis nawai

Not yet have a comon name, I call them Black hands boxer mantis

With body length of about 1.5 cm only, small enough to catching attention by one's naking eyes, characterizing by the relatively short and black boxing front legs, and considered rare in Taiwan.

P1010348.jpg

P1010347.jpg

P1010346.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally, my friend found a female for me and received a couple hours ago. To my surprise, not the male attempting to mate urgently, but taking approach face to face like a bull instead of skittish running or stalking around and mounting onto from behind with extremely caution.

Since this is only specimen I have, to ensure the mating, I take picture carefully so the actual copulation is not very clear to show on the photo. Really exciting to have this little cute guy indeed!

P1010475.jpg

P1010472.jpg

Wow, congratulations! Be sure to lemme know about any extra ooths. :p

I was stupid enough, the Black hand actually is a male after I received it. Now the female as we can see, no balck hand characteristics. They are actually ground doweled mantis. There are some wide collected female and laying fertile eggs, but this actual mating is most likely the first photo availible to the general public.

That is great, I have two different boxers now and I cannot wait for this third! :lol: That is really neat to see them mating right off, did they stay together long?

That is great, I have two different boxers now and I cannot wait for this third! :lol: That is really neat to see them mating right off, did they stay together long?
The first one last an hour or so, then the second time took palce few hours later/ But I did not pay attention this time. Now they are seperated in different cages of their own. Will wait for the first ooth to hatch before sending out others.

It looks like the female has small, bud-like wings while the male lacks wings. Is that the case or am I seeing things? If that is the case, it would be the the reverse of all other species I have seen! Very cool indeed!!

It looks like the female has small, bud-like wings while the male lacks wings. Is that the case or am I seeing things? If that is the case, it would be the the reverse of all other species I have seen! Very cool indeed!!
Truely expert you are! never can be escaped from the trained eyes. There are two types of male, the one with wings and without. I made mistake because of this by the first glance.

How cool is that?! I know of only one species where the male has 2 wing conditions. Litaneutria minor males can have short or full length wings. The female always has short wings though. Infact, I lost an adult female because her short wings looked like wing pads of a nymph. She died of old age while I patiently waited for her to molt again!

That's great news Luke :) ! glad you figure that out. Nice looking mantis there and best of luck with them bro.

Thanks Mike and Yen,

later with little luck, shall have some ooth available, and will ship to the States and Germany, so everybody may have opportunity to breed them.

Sent all my ooth to germany friends, and now finaly I have managed to trade another ooth to work with, and now I have few subadult and L3 nymphs. Will keep updated when I am lucky enough to have them mated shortly.

Luke