Another New Mantis Lover - in Canada

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mantis Mama

Reaction score
Hi all mantis enthusiasts!  I'm in Calgary, Alberta, Canada.  I originally hatched an egg case to

have mantises to deal with the bad bugs in my yard.  However, the weather was so bad that I

eventually just gave up trying to launch the mantises outside.  I've now got several mantises as

pets and they're showing little wing buds now so I'm thinking that they must be getting close to

adulthood.  I never cease to be amazed by these incredible little creatures.  On the down side,

I've certainly had a few mismolts - but some of the mantises I've been able to save and am

hand feeding them.  If I get to the mismolt soon enough I can cut away the stuck exoskeleton

and I find that the new body has a better chance - my little manicure scissors will never be the

same.

I've learned a lot from this forum.  Thank you for providing it and for contributing to it.

Hello and welcome to the forum
welcome5.gif

If you are seeing wing buds now you should be two molts away from adulthood. :D

Sorry to hear you are having issues with mismolts. Hopefully you learned what your problem(s) are and can avoid similar mismolts in the future. Although they can crop up on anyone no matter the experience or care level given, the majority of issues causing the mismolts can be avoided.

I anticipate that it will be so relaxing once adulthood arrives - no more molting adventures.

It's nice to know that I'm not the only one with manicure scissors and tweezers re-purposed for mantid care!