Anyone else see the Supermoon lunar eclipse?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CosbyArt

Reaction score
Last night (Sunday the 27th) not only was the full moon a so-called Supermoon, there was also a lunar eclipse. I saw the moon rise after sunset and didn't think much of it besides it was bright.

My mom and wife were interested in the lunar eclipse itself, but I forgot all about it; otherwise, I would have been better prepared and likely got much better shots as I wouldn't been rushing to get everything setup and playing with the controls/settings half the night. Well they quickly had me rush out for photos of it with my Nikon DSLR D80 and tripod, and about the time it was to start we had a thunderstorm and I got soaked. :(

The storm cleared up soon after the lunar eclipse was underway by about 40 minutes so I rushed back down to get some photos. Nothing impressive as I had only a 80mm lens, I know with a 300mm like I had before the photos would have been much better/bigger (let along a even larger lens). I did however get my time-lapse shutter release out and got some more interesting shots, and used my wireless shutter release for the rest of the shots for best results. Then as the eclipse was nearly over my primary battery ran dead so I called it night - and my camera was soaked with condensation from the strong humidity from the rain.

Anyway I did some quick editing of my better shots (with Darktable and GIMP) and put them on Facebook for my family to see, and figured I'd share them here with my insect family too. Seems most people got rained out or covered in clouds, as the thunderstorm lasted for the entire eclipse for my family and friends that don't live near me. Anyone else get to see the eclipse or get some photos? Feel free to share them here if you did.

le15-phases.jpg

le15-timelapse-continious.jpg

le15-first-quarter.jpg

le15-moon-timelapse.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Saw it just as the sun was setting here in Washington. Too many fir trees at our house so we went to a nearby church on a hill and the parking lot was full of cars/people.and cameras. Your photos are gorgeous, thank you for sharing them.

Glad to see I wasn't the only one who got to see it. Sorry Nate I bet you were already asleep for work.

Saw it just as the sun was setting here in Washington. Too many fir trees at our house so we went to a nearby church on a hill and the parking lot was full of cars/people.and cameras. Your photos are gorgeous, thank you for sharing them.
Sounds like you found a whole group of people watching it too. :D Thanks, glad you liked them.

Last night (Sunday the 27th) not only was the full moon a so-called Supermoon, there was also a lunar eclipse. I saw the moon rise after sunset and didn't think much of it besides it was bright.

My mom and wife were interested in the lunar eclipse itself, but I forgot all about it; otherwise, I would have been better prepared and likely got much better shots as I wouldn't been rushing to get everything setup and playing with the controls/settings half the night. Well they quickly had me rush out for photos of it with my Nikon DSLR D80 and tripod, and about the time it was to start we had a thunderstorm and I got soaked. :(

The storm cleared up soon after the lunar eclipse was underway by about 40 minutes so I rushed back down to get some photos. Nothing impressive as I had only a 80mm lens, I know with a 300mm like I had before the photos would have been much better/bigger (let along a even larger lens). I did however get my time-lapse shutter release out and got some more interesting shots, and used my wireless shutter release for the rest of the shots for best results. Then as the eclipse was nearly over my primary battery ran dead so I called it night - and my camera was soaked with condensation from the strong humidity from the rain.

Anyway I did some quick editing of my better shots (with Darktable and GIMP) and put them on Facebook for my family to see, and figured I'd share them here with my insect family too. Seems most people got rained out or covered in clouds, as the thunderstorm lasted for the entire eclipse for my family and friends that don't live near me. Anyone else get to see the eclipse or get some photos? Feel free to share them here if you did.

le15-phases.jpg

le15-timelapse-continious.jpg

le15-first-quarter.jpg

I also saw it. Cool shots dude! i got some good photos, up until the moon was completely in shadow. Then my camera started really being a pain. Not bright enough, so the speed of the photo taking was significantly reduced. And so everything started becoming blurry because I couldnt hold it perfectly still... A tripod would have come in handy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great :) Likely just a coincidence but what was your mantis doing?
He was waiting for a female to come. He has unfortunately come to really want to mate with a female. I heard that mantids actually use the moon to navigate. His wings have kind of wear down from living and he just waits for mealworm beetles to come.

Latest posts