Are these mites?!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

young1

Reaction score

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

are those mites or maggots? there are a ton of them :eek:

I get itchy just thinking about it haha

these are hydei fruit flies by the way

Last edited by a moderator:
They look like mites to me. Maggots don't have legs.

These are very common in older fruit fly cultures and not really much to worry about (excepting that itchy feeling).

mann I just got them too...that sucks

so are the flies in those containers useless now?

in terms of feeding and using to make new cultures?

I've had the same kind of mites infest my cultures. They don't harm the fruit flies, they just feed off the culture. I just placed the whole container in a dish of hot water, and that limited the mites. Soon though, they just kind of disappeared.

i got these from joshsfrogs.com

thank you for the info, what a relief

i'm going to try that water trick...i've been trying to find a local shop that sells mite paper but i'm sure this will work just the same

thanks everyone! :lol:

Hummm. I wrote about his mites in the other breeders section or whatever it is called, he does have some huge mites! :blink: Biggest I ever did see!

You should also post your feedback for him, as that's what the section is good for, so others can choose who they buy their mites fruit flies from :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Is Josh's Frogs the one that has that video about culturing fruit flies and talks about throwing out any cultures that develop mites? :blink:

(That would be funny if it's the same guy!)

-Carey Kurtz-

Latest posts