Are they really that ferocious??

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cindy

Reaction score
My student was really kind to try and capture a flower mantid for me. He got one and held it to examine it. It used its fore arms to cut his finger and he bled! :eek:

The poor boy was trying check if he actually got hold of an orchid mantid (called a flower mantid here for hanging around flowers).

My student was really kind to try and capture a flower mantid for me. He got one and held it to examine it. It used its fore arms to cut his finger and he bled! :eek: The poor boy was trying check if he actually got hold of an orchid mantid (called a flower mantid here for hanging around flowers).
if you mean wahlbergii(flowermantis) then yes even mine when picked up will go for me but it dont hurt and dont make me bleed.she sort of karate chops me..she never grabs me

Orchid mantis also bits me if shes moody..and shes more likely to make me bleed..she never has but her claws are pretty sharp,im sure if she wanted to she could cut me easy.

She had to of been scared, the ones outside in the wild are not used to people and was probably just defending herself. They do not attack for just any reason. They are not poison so he should be fine. ;)

If you grab a mantis they often will respond by trying to escape using their front legs. Those legs end in a very sharp point that can easily prick you.

Flower mantis are found only in Africa? I am in Singapore, south east asia.

Cool, does it mean he could be grabbing onto an orchid mantis? :eek:

Orchid mantises are really strong. The one I had was really mean. She always tries to attack people if you put your hand near.

Orchid mantis only is found in africa ? Anyway it is white with a dash of pink . I did not grab it , i took it out and put it on the floor using a magnifing glass it jumped on me so i was sort of scared ...

but let it climb on my hand . But at first i jumped around quite a bit . I think it is Hymenopus coronatus .

Last edited by a moderator:
Orchid mantis only is found in africa ? Anyway it is white with a dash of pink . I did not grab it , i took it out and put it on the floor using a magnifing glass it jumped on me so i was sort of scared ... but let it climb on my hand . But at first i jumped around quite a bit . I think it is Hymenopus coronatus .
Wow, it is definitely orchid mantis, hymenopus coronatos :lol: .They come from Malaysia too ;) .Did you keep it?