Bad oothacae?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calmspeak

Reaction score
Is it possible to get a bad egg casing? I was able to bring a female tenodera aridfola sinenis that I bought at a pet store (for $30.00) to adulthood no problem. In fact was real proud of myself, so I decided to hatch an ooth of the same kind that I bought at a garden center. I left it out side in my garden for about a month before I brought it inside and hatched it in a aquarium. I was left with 14 nymphs by the end of it and as time goes on I have 9 left. The bugs that have made it to adulthood all but 1 have crumbled wings, 3 nymphs still left to molt. I am confused as to why this would happen. My first mantid was raised with no water or misting and is quite beautiful. These nymphs are misted every day so I think they are getting enough moisture. I live in Canada and the weather is cooling down but furnace is never lower than 72 F. so I think the temperature is good. The mantids that fell during the molt couldn't seem to hold on to the screening or in some cases to the sticks in the cages. I feed them everyday mosty crickets but some fly and moths when available. I hand feed so some eat every day and some don't, so I think I'm feeding them enough. I have since moved them into a private area. Now that I have a proper area maybe a quieter setting will be a better environment. This is turning into a bad experience. It's kinda unsettling to see so many mantids come out this way or die during a bad molt. (I did freezer 5)Especally if I am at fault. I am new to this hobby and do want to try and raise other breeds but it sounds like I could use some good advice. Thanks in advance.

It might of been a weak stock, inbred or summut, not a lot of genetic diversity, ive know someone b4 now who ended up with 2 adults form an ooth!, doesnt humidity affect the wings?

Chinese mantids commonly have difficulties in the later molts and require more specific caging than other mantids for good results. Few other mantids are as difficult in captivity.