BBC1 contacted me about their next nature series

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very cool, congrats! Let's hope they don't add in any ridiculous sounds.

Not bad. Hymenopus is a good species for the public. But there are people who can be contacted for Idolomantis as well. What a pity that I don't breed mantids at moment, I could have supplied them with Idolomantis for 10 years to film...

Hehe,Im glad that I'm taking part in this experience and have a hand in making mantis better known :) Not gonna talk it up as yet but yeah it's good to be involved :)

Not bad. Hymenopus is a good species for the public. But there are people who can be contacted for Idolomantis as well. What a pity that I don't breed mantids at moment, I could have supplied them with Idolomantis for 10 years to film...
Not bad??? Kind of a pompous thing to say, don't you think. Henry is easily one of the best things to happen on any forum!

You really need to let the forum know when you drop the photo album precarious

I know I definitely want one haha
I agree, I would definitely want a photo book if you release one for sale!
I want one too!
Thanks for the encouragement! Believe me, the forum will know well in advance. I'll probably need some feedback on specifics of content and layout. Just know that I'm looking at doing a big book - probably 100+ pages, full color, 8.5"x11" - so it won't be a $20 book. Depending on if I can find a publisher, distributor, etc., I may be paying for a small run out of pocket. It's all just the plan for a project at this point so I've got a long way to go.

Get Richard Dawkins to narrate it. I love his audiobooks. He's politically risky, but his voice and knowledge of the subject matter are pretty unparalleled.
Ack! Let's just keep Oprah.

Not bad??? Kind of a pompous thing to say, don't you think. Henry is easily one of the best things to happen on any forum!
Relax, buddy. He's only saying Orchids are not a bad choice. But thanks for the over-the-top compliment! :blush:

Yeah, that's exactly what I thought. The public seems to go nutty for Orchids so good to generate interest. Unfortunately I don't know who breeds what over there so I couldn't direct them to any breeders proficient with Idolos or I would have. They were also in contact with the guy who's big on the UK forum, Rob Bryant I think his name is, and he should have been aware of any reliable Idolo breeders. I guess he didn't know any or didn't forcefully pull them back toward the species.

Ah the Internet,bringing people together even when they have no desire to expand. Reading this it sounds like some of the posters think the world is still square! Sheesh,who knows why there's all this 'them over there' and such.

Ah the Internet,bringing people together even when they have no desire to expand. Reading this it sounds like some of the posters think the world is still square! Sheesh,who knows why there's all this 'them over there' and such.
Do you mean my comment about not knowing "who breeds what over there"? I'm thinking you're referring to a different comment.

This all go's to show we need a more unified hobby. We need to put more time into the mantids and building a hobby wide network of breeders and communication and drop the petty ego .

Henry I know we talked but I think the book is definitely a boost to your credibility and contributions to this hobby.We should all work to be a part of expanding the knowledge and sharing it in order ensure the hobby only moves forward.

I guess they're talking about me? And if so I just would like to say I deal with people "over there" all the time. It's just some peoples comments always sound so egotistical to me, but I should of probably just ignored it, again...

I guess they're talking about me? And if so I just would like to say I deal with people "over there" all the time. It's just some peoples comments always sound so egotistical to me, but I should of probably just ignored it, again...
That comment you went after was clearly egotistical. Anyone claiming there was a better option or choice without the actual project in hand are clearly just venting.

Just a broad,sweeping statement. Seriously though,Mantis are the same the world over :)
I believe in the fact that most if not all of us truly care about mantis as well as other creatures great and small, the hobby in general, and engaging with others with similar interests makes us part of a brotherhood(or sisterhood) of sorts, whether your from "over here" or "over there" matters little to me and many others I know.

So lets shake hands and come out smiling...What say you? :)

Now back to your regular scheduled programing: You go Precarious, you go man!

Just know that I'm looking at doing a big book - probably 100+ pages, full color, 8.5"x11" - so it won't be a $20 book. Depending on if I can find a publisher, distributor, etc., I may be paying for a small run out of pocket. It's all just the plan for a project at this point so I've got a long way to go.
There may be something else out there but the recent publishing technology that allows people to print larger books in small runs doesn't allow for especially good photo quality (I don't believe it's ever glossy while higher quality color print is more than double the price but many people wouldn't notice the quality difference). If you do it as a fun project like I do where you aren't concerned if you ever make back your money you can't lose (or acknowledge it anyway ha ha).

This all go's to show we need a more unified hobby. We need to put more time into the mantids and building a hobby wide network of breeders and communication and drop the petty ego .

Henry I know we talked but I think the book is definitely a boost to your credibility and contributions to this hobby.We should all work to be a part of expanding the knowledge and sharing it in order ensure the hobby only moves forward.
I agree 100%. Unfortunately, any situation that allows for bragging rights or the opportunity to make money will have its share of people keeping secrets and spreading disinformation. That's what Nick and I ran up against when we were first trying to raise Idolo. There were a few that knew how to do it and it seemed they purposefully spread lies, such as Idolo requiring dry environments. That was easy enough to see through with a little research into their conditions in nature, but I think there may still be some hatches waiting to be buried (either in skulls or under ground) over this subject.

I'm completely open with general information. I want as many happy, healthy mantises out there as possible. I would never want to be responsible for a death just because I kept my mouth shut. That being said, there will always be little tricks we keep to ourselves just because we feel we earned them through our commitment and perseverance. I freely share at least 99% of what I know. The other 1% is for myself and my closest allies. :D

Just a broad,sweeping statement. Seriously though,Mantis are the same the world over :)
So are people, and that's where the problems come in. :lol:

There may be something else out there but the recent publishing technology that allows people to print larger books in small runs doesn't allow for especially good photo quality (I don't believe it's ever glossy while higher quality color print is more than double the price but many people wouldn't notice the quality difference). If you do it as a fun project like I do where you aren't concerned if you ever make back your money you can't lose (or acknowledge it anyway ha ha).
I know. Most of the print-on-demand or small run companies have shoddy print quality. I've been checking into lightningsource.com. My buddy uses them to print books of his art. The stock feels nice, print quality is very good and not too glossy. I actually prefer more of a matte finish myself. Of course, if I find a real publisher I won't have to worry about it.