Beekeeping

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you want a feeding source that will lay flat, try pouring sugar syrup into a plastic ziplock bag. Cut an X into it, or slits, which ever you prefer. Place this on top of the frames or inner cover and close the hive.
Yeah, we plan to switch over to ziplock bags for winter feeding. The can came with the bees. Figured the bees should use up its contents, and too lazy to transfer to a baggie.

SG, I did find something for you today. It was in the queen cage(vacated) of all places. Meet my new little friend. Enjoy the glamour shot I took of s/he. ;)

SHB3.jpg

Yeah, so today, I prematurely checked the queen cage inside the hive(can't leave things alone). After I determined she had made her escape(she's marked and I saw her out and about on a frame), the queen cage was removed, and I filled the space it was occupying with the last two frames. I'm going to try to leave them alone for a week or so.

Their orientation flights are mesmerizing. It's akin to staring into a campfire. Primitive TV.

Thanks!

I was apprehensive at first—with all the buzzing! I had never even seen it done in person. It was just one of those 'let's get it done' moments, but boy was I sweating bullets! I can assure you of this: the process was not pretty. Despite the warnings in class, I even dropped the queen cage into the mass of workers! Nerves gradually subsided. I became amazed at how easy the bees were to work with. All in all...a very positive initial experience.

I'm temporarily feeding with a punctured can under the telescoping cover. As of now, there should be good nectar flow; so it won't be for long...giving the bees a chance to get situated. I'm using the chick water dispenser as an improvised water source. That too will be taken up in time.
Oh ok that was water. I personally am a big fan of the entrance feeders. The types where the opening is inside the hive.

And I agree on what you said about watching them. I watched for a long time when I first got into this.

Yeah, we plan to switch over to ziplock bags for winter feeding. The can came with the bees. Figured the bees should use up its contents, and too lazy to transfer to a baggie.

SG, I did find something for you today. It was in the queen cage(vacated) of all places. Meet my new little friend. Enjoy the glamour shot I took of s/he. ;)

SHB3.jpg

Yeah, so today, I prematurely checked the queen cage inside the hive(can't leave things alone). After I determined she had made her escape(she's marked and I saw her out and about on a frame), the queen cage was removed, and I filled the space it was occupying with the last two frames. I'm going to try to leave them alone for a week or so.

Their orientation flights are mesmerizing. It's akin to staring into a campfire. Primitive TV.
Thank you for the picture! :)

And yes, their orientation flights are very cool to watch. Especially when you try it follow just one bee with your eyes!

So some guy had a massive hive in his attic. Called a beekeeper and three hours before the guy arrived the comb collapsed and fell through his ceiling. What a mess:

http://imgur.com/a/SPr4k

So some guy had a massive hive in his attic. Called a beekeeper and three hours before the guy arrived the comb collapsed and fell through his ceiling. What a mess:

http://imgur.com/a/SPr4k
Whoa! I like bees but not that much. Repairs won't be cheap. Feel sorry for the guy.

I received my second package, yesterday. Like the first, I put them into the hive without a hitch. I still have to check on the queen tomorrow.

First hive seems to be doing well. They are drawing comb...

Did he get the honey? :p

A family member told me about research being done saying that taking honey away from the bees and leaving them with sugar syrup causing them to be unhealthy... More on that, and a posting of the source, later. :D

Well, one of my bees decided to sting the hand that feeds. I was retrieving an empty ziplock bag(feeder) from the "new colony". A worker landed on the inside of the middle finger of my right hand, at the knuckle. In an attempt to fling her off, I shook my hand...and bam! She got me! It was more shocking than anything...really didn't hurt as bad as I remember.

Well, one of my bees decided to sting the hand that feeds. I was retrieving an empty ziplock bag(feeder) from the "new colony". A worker landed on the inside of the middle finger of my right hand, at the knuckle. In an attempt to fling her off, I shook my hand...and bam! She got me! It was more shocking than anything...really didn't hurt as bad as I remember.
Get used to it. I never work in the hive without gloves and a veil. I've been stung in the face once and numerous times in the hands. I have no idea how people work a hive without protection.

Here is one of my hive beetles on a penny. Opened my hive and there were more than normal. They hang out between the bars. Bees are fine though:

Thanks Rick!

That sounds like inviting trouble for beekeepers everywhere, Jamufjr. :)

HIVE UPDATE: So... I have no idea if the queen that had been put in with the nucleus was accepted. Weather has been rainy and cold, and when it's sunny, my family and I, of course, have somewhere else to be. I'm pretty sure it's time for a third hive body, though, and hope to inspect the hive ASAP...

I fed the bees today, and the sugar feeder is dripping... :angry: Ants are all over the hive and I saw my first robbing today. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Rick!

That sounds like inviting trouble for beekeepers everywhere, Jamufjr. :)

HIVE UPDATE: So... I have no idea if the queen that had been put in with the nucleus was accepted. Weather has been rainy and cold, and when it's sunny, my family and I, of course, have somewhere else to be. I'm pretty sure it's time for a third hive body, though, and hope to inspect the hive ASAP...

I fed the bees today, and the sugar feeder is dripping... :angry: Ants are all over the hive and I saw my first robbing today. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!
Are you using a bag of feed inside the hive? Maybe try an entrance feeder. The food jar is on the outside but the entrance to it is inside the hive. Sorry to hear of problems like those.

Are you using a bag of feed inside the hive? Maybe try an entrance feeder. The food jar is on the outside but the entrance to it is inside the hive. Sorry to hear of problems like those.
No, I'm not. I'm feeding with a black container wit a hole poked in the lid. This gets flipped over and the lid fits in a hole on the hive cover. Sometimes it drips too much - then I'll plug the hole a bit with some wax.

It spilled over the cover when I was putting it on yesterday. I diluted it by liberally dumping water over the cover and then dried with paper towels. It must be dripping too much because it appears to be running down the hive, through the screened bottom board, down the insert, and down the leg of the hive stand ... which is where honey bees and ants (ignoring the cinnamon that I piled at the bases of all the legs) gather en mass. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Well, we need to cut the hive stand legs so it's lower - at two bodies, it is up to my chest. Then we'll put the legs in cans of oil. That will solve the ant problem, but I'll just have to be super careful to prevent winged robbers w/ stingers. AKA sneaky bees from other hives. :D

Anyway, I just feel bad because my bees weren't the ones luring robbers to their hive. Guilt. :(

I've heard that entrance feeders are only safe for giving water during hot periods. Syrup = major robbing.

Here it is Memorial Day ... and we've got a queen to replace. :(

Inspected the hive today. In the whole two bodies, we only found one frame of brood, and 3 supersedure cells.

Maybe they want a democracy? :p

Next step from here will probably be ordering a queen and introducing her over a week.

Last edited by a moderator:
That stinks. I can say I have never had issues with ants. I do see them sometimes but they never seem to be a problem. Mine are on bricks so if I ever have ant issues it will be a real pain. This reminds me that I need to get into the hive. There is a nice big comb of honey I have my eye on.

Talked to my beekeeper friend. He's sold around 80 nucs this spring (2 of which were to me: the first one, and then the one to provide a queen when we removed supersedure cells), and none of them have had the problems that I've had. :( Maybe it's the bees? I've left them alone for a while after we combined the nucleus'. I don't see why this is happening... But...

I'm going to give our current hive back to him, and buy a full sized hive that has been running smoothly for a while. He'll inspect the hive I'm returning with me to see if he notices what the problem was.

Talked to my beekeeper friend. He's sold around 80 nucs this spring (2 of which were to me: the first one, and then the one to provide a queen when we removed supersedure cells), and none of them have had the problems that I've had. :( Maybe it's the bees? I've left them alone for a while after we combined the nucleus'. I don't see why this is happening... But...

I'm going to give our current hive back to him, and buy a full sized hive that has been running smoothly for a while. He'll inspect the hive I'm returning with me to see if he notices what the problem was.
SG, sorry to hear of the trouble you're having. Hope you get it resolved. Let us know when the full-size hive gets there.

Latest posts