Bioactive 4x4x8 for ghost nymphs!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Set up the first enclosure today, will be setting up 3-4 of these to house L2/3 ghost nymphs.

Coco coir as substrate (on the dryer side)
bark/wood microwaved for a minute.
Thinking of a layer of mesh for the top, also what isn’t clear from the angle, is there is a twig/small pine cone hanging over the foreground as a place to hang from.

Placed an adult male European in it for the photo.

Can anyone give opinions/pointers on ways to potentially make this a better home?

Potential clean up crew for an enclosure this small?
6ECDCBB9-1448-42F8-859F-604CB3440A35.jpeg

Set up the first enclosure today, will be setting up 3-4 of these to house L2/3 ghost nymphs.

Coco coir as substrate (on the dryer side)
bark/wood microwaved for a minute.
Thinking of a layer of mesh for the top, also what isn’t clear from the angle, is there is a twig/small pine cone hanging over the foreground as a place to hang from.

Placed an adult male European in it for the photo.

Can anyone give opinions/pointers on ways to potentially make this a better home?

Potential clean up crew for an enclosure this small? View attachment 22421
Nice

Look who showed up last night 🥹🥹
Male and female ghost, I4 from Fatal Mantis!
They both happily munched on the cut end of a meal worm and had a tiny drop of honey. I have absolutely fallen in love with these tiny, so alien looking creatures. The way they dance and Bob back and forth watching me is so cute 😂💀

now that I have some captive bred “exotic” mantids, I feel awful for housing wild caught. I just remind myself that if I let them go, they’ll be dead from frost in a week. Atleast in my care, they don’t have to worry about predators or freezing.
79D49A99-8F5F-4266-96D8-A1FE7E588281.jpeg

Gorgeous setup!!!!! I would strongly recommend hot gluing mesh or tulle to the top of the enclosure for them to molt on like you mentioned above! If you will be keeping any mantids in there that aren’t adults, I’d suggest ensuring they have enough room to molt from the top. From the pics it looks like the large piece of wood may be too close to the top of the enclosure. The general idea is if they’re not adults yet, they need about 2-3x their body length between their molting surface and any potential obstacles. Sending you my best wishes!

Gorgeous setup!!!!! I would strongly recommend hot gluing mesh or tulle to the top of the enclosure for them to molt on like you mentioned above! If you will be keeping any mantids in there that aren’t adults, I’d suggest ensuring they have enough room to molt from the top. From the pics it looks like the large piece of wood may be too close to the top of the enclosure. The general idea is if they’re not adults yet, they need about 2-3x their body length between their molting surface and any potential obstacles. Sending you my best wishes!
Thank you for the reply! It does extend up to the top in the back inch or so of the background. Even though there are many branches to hang down from, should I still ensure room at the top towards the back? I planned on putting the mesh at the top, the the “foreground” of the top.

Both of them just had dinner, a cut piece of mealworm and they seem to be loving it! Caught two tiny moths inside the house and they also ate them a few days ago. Absolutely in love with the dark browns and red hints on them. Hoping they both live long into adulthood 🤞🏼
915D4EC4-B242-4604-A9FD-FA9DD5CA5DE6.jpeg

Last edited:
True

Latest posts