Black fluid in thorax, clogged mouth

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salmonsaladsandwich

Reaction score
Last night a Chinese molted to l7. I noticed soon after it finished that it was starting to vomit something black out of it's mouth. It also had some ominous dark sections in the "neck" area of his thorax, which I assumed was the stuff it was throwing up. The drop of black stuff solidified in it's mouth and on closer inspection his mouth looks disfigured, however this could also be the black stuff pushing the mandible out on one side. I can tell that the dark stuff in it's thorax is liquid because it's being rhythmically pumped up and down.

The stuff in his mouth is preventing it from eating. I fed it a moth and he grabbed it and tried to eat it, but the stuff clogging his mouth (which may have been deformed in the molt) stopped him and after a couple minutes the mantis gave up and released it unharmed.

So, is this the "Black Death" disease or "vomiting"? Are those two syndromes the same thing? Or is it something else?

http://s1303.photobucket.com/user/salmonsaladsandwic/media/image.jpg1_zpsg9nmi68n.jpg.html

http://s1303.photobucket.com/user/salmonsaladsandwic/media/image.jpg2_zpscwcbcncc.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

Last edited by a moderator:
Typical mantis vomit is a brown/reddish color, if you are seeing black I was suspect it isn't just vomit. On your second photo it does appear the mouth palps are extended and stuck in the substance. I would suggest you put drops of water around it's mouth and mist the enclosure to see if it can help get the substance off (do not rub as you will cause more damage).

If your mantis gets it's mouth free, give it some honey to help with the vomiting. Hopefully someone has some other tips to get it's mouth cleared.

I managed to remove the stuff on the outside with water, but unfortunately it's also on the inside of his mouth and it hasn't come out.

I can get it honey tommorow.

Great to hear you got it dissolved on the outside at least. Keep trying drops of water occasionally and hopefully it can take care of the rest. Best of luck, and keep us posted.

Update: even though I didn't have a chance to give it honey until now, dark fluid in its neck seems to have reduced and migrated up closer to the mantis's head. I just gave it some honey mixed with water. This morning I tried feeding it a small, soft katydid nymph to see if he could eat solid food now (probably not) but he seemed disinterested, probably from the stress caused when I removed some of the dried up vomit from his mouth. (Which appears to have been misshapen, perhaps because he vomited just after completing a molt and the black stuff hardened in his mouth before his exoskeleton did.)

What has this mantis been fed?
Mostly small dubia roaches, also grasshoppers, flies and moths. No pet store crickets.

Glad to see he is doing better, and it is a great improvement in the photos. That is great news that he got some honey too, it will help.

Hopefully when he recovers a bit more he can manage to use his mouth properly, at least enough to eat. If not you can try to feed it some mashed up bugs, or waxworms/mealworms or such, using tweezers to stimulate it moving and get him to eat that.

I tried to feed him some roach guts. I wouldn't really call it a success, mostly he just nibbled at it for a second or two, brushed it away with his arms and then nibbled the juice on his arms. He definitely ate at least a tiny bit but didn't get much of a meal... It would probably be easier if I liquified the stuff but that would be really messy and most of it would drip away.

In any case getting enough nutrition in him to get him to the next molt is going to be extremely tedious.

The problem seems to be that he doesn't want to eat, he's not in the mood for eating when my fingers are in his face and just brushes it away. So I wonder if I can get him to eat by impaling a roach that's been split in half on a piece of fishing line and wiggling it around, then maybe he'll be able to slurp the soft innards out.

I tried to feed him some roach guts. I wouldn't really call it a success, mostly he just nibbled at it for a second or two, brushed it away with his arms and then nibbled the juice on his arms. He definitely ate at least a tiny bit but didn't get much of a meal... It would probably be easier if I liquified the stuff but that would be really messy and most of it would drip away.

In any case getting enough nutrition in him to get him to the next molt is going to be extremely tedious.

The problem seems to be that he doesn't want to eat, he's not in the mood for eating when my fingers are in his face and just brushes it away. So I wonder if I can get him to eat by impaling a roach that's been split in half on a piece of fishing line and wiggling it around, then maybe he'll be able to slurp the soft innards out.
Hey that is still great news, as he has a clear passage in his mouth again! :D

Your hand may have something to do with, try the thumbtack method (see the posts for complete details). That trick has saved many members mantises until their next molts, and I think in one case as a adult too.

For a true liquid feeding you can use whole milk, as mentioned by Sticky her mantis lived over 2 months on the diet (so that is more than enough time to get him to his next molt if needed).

There may be some other tips on the forum, but those are the ones I found.

Glad that he seems to be improving! Some of the inappetence may be related to recently molting, so hopefully it picks up again shortly. Good luck :)

Hey that is still great news, as he has a clear passage in his mouth again! :D

Your hand may have something to do with, try the thumbtack method (see the posts for complete details). That trick has saved many members mantises until their next molts, and I think in one case as a adult too.

For a true liquid feeding you can use whole milk, as mentioned by Sticky her mantis lived over 2 months on the diet (so that is more than enough time to get him to his next molt if needed).

There may be some other tips on the forum, but those are the ones I found.
Oh perfect! I'll definitely have to try both the thumbtack and milk.

I fed her some milk- it's really easy to do with an eyedropper. Also I sexed her as female.

Funny thing is, I read the thread with the milk before but I just didn't remember it... Probably because I didn't have any mantises with messed up mouthparts then.

I'm reall hoping that milk has enough nutrition for her to actually grow... I'm worried that it might be too fatty and not have the right nutrients, so I'm also going to give her mashed roaches so she gets what milk might be missing.

I wouldnt worry about it being too fatty, this diet is only temporary, and whole milk has enzymes that reduced doesnt have. Alot of moths are very fatty and the mantids does suffer from eating them.

If you can, get some powdered bee pollen and mix that with the milk. I did that for my mantis Sticky.

Oh, she's great! She had two halved roaches (which she grabs by herself after a while now) and some milk. She's become much tamer than all the other mantises, she barely moves when I take her out to feed her.

Also he black stuff that used to be clogging her mouth is totally gone, there's no trace of it. It's just one of her mandibles that's been bent to one side so she can't cut and chew.