Blepharopsis Consolidated

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Little catch up. My female has laid one ooth and it looks like another is on the way. I just had a male moult to sub adult as well!

Was anyone trying to keep these in deli cups? I don't think that they can tolerate the cloth lids. All of mine would invariably get stuck where they couldn't move on the lid. I've switched my last remaining one to a smaller cup with a coffee filter for the lid.

Was anyone trying to keep these in deli cups? I don't think that they can tolerate the cloth lids. All of mine would invariably get stuck where they couldn't move on the lid. I've switched my last remaining one to a smaller cup with a coffee filter for the lid.
Mine did fine on cloth lids. they lived on them there whole lives.

My last one fell during a molt. I think that the lid really messed up his feet so much that he couldn't grip anything. Plan to get more though soon. Hopefully will have better luck, I've never lost a species so fast.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have got an ooth incubating under 90 oF for 14 hour days with a drop to 68 oF at night. I have a cloth lid deli with excelsior and sanded sides. Oh, and i mist abt every other day. Does this sound suffient?

If it hatches, I'll have a lot of excess nymphs for sale within the next month!

My last one fell during a molt. I think that the lid really messed up his feet so much that he couldn't grip anything. Plan to get more though soon. Hopefully will have better luck, I've never lost a species so fast.
When I keep the nymphs in plastic enclosures, I do use a cloth lid until I switch them from Melanogaster ff to Hydei ff. I also keep rafia in the deli cup. Most hang out on the lid. I haven't had too many issues with molting. You could try adding some sticks next time.

When I keep the nymphs in plastic enclosures, I do use a cloth lid until I switch them from Melanogaster ff to Hydei ff. I also keep rafia in the deli cup. Most hang out on the lid. I haven't had too many issues with molting. You could try adding some sticks next time.
I had raffia, but no sticks. I'll try that when I get some again.

I got a great tip from RichS - if you are short on houseflies, or the B. mendica are being finicky, THEY LOVE HYDEI. Every time I put 5-10 Hydei in with my L4/L5s, they inhale them as fast as they can!

... and Hydei are easier to get and maintain in the dead of winter than other flies.

Blepharopsis molting question..... My male and female both molted to adult the same day( middle of June). It is now middle of August. I have 2 girls from the same hatch that are still sub adult and have not molted for 2 months. They are eating and seem fine. They were kept exactly the same as the other B mendicas but won't molt. What is going on? Anybody know?

Wish I knew. Do they have any injuries? If they are healing or missing a leg, they can take longer.

With this species, I sometimes have one that stalls and takes longer to molt to an adult. A former forum member and I got our first nymphs around the same time (May/June 2011). I sent him a male that was offspring from my original stock that he mated with a female that was from original stock. The majority of mine typically molt to adults about four months after they hatch. His took over eight months. But I've had a few that took longer.

Hope yours do OK!

Latest posts