Blepharopsis Consolidated

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agreed, I use 32oz delis with screen lids from Mantisplace.com, 1 per deli with a small leaf vine in each. pretty much the same with any mantis that don't play nice together.

The deli's are pretty cheap, just cut a bung hole in the top and use a foam stopper for feeding and bam done deal.

Yes, just make sure it's not over crowded with things on there last molt, so they can molt with some space from top to bottom, I use just one or two twigs angled and glue a few to the top of the lid, the middle and bottom should have as much empty space as you can do, with a little moss or paper towel in the bottom, do you see the picture I'm painting if not I can try and add a pic later?

Here is the type of shipping container I use to send larger mantis, forget the foam in the deli (fool proof shipping ;) ),it's the same as I use for sub adults about to molt, then I add a thin stick or two for them to get to the top is all, they can grip the sticks for molting very easily hence no falling during the last crucial molt.

NicksCup_1786-sm.jpg

thank you for the pic! i may have to steal your idea...

my blephs dont have wings yet, but i had lucanus capreolus adult males last summer fly around like idiots in the cage at night

maybe he is in search of a lady bleph...

Yeah, that was my thought. He's near my adult female polyspilota who seems to tap the side of the cage and look at him. They seem to have some weird flirtation going on. haha Sorry guys.. Not a love connection.

How romantic. haha

So besides Tammy, who has been breeding these? Granted I've only kept the one, but I guess I don't understand why they are so scarce. I don't feel like he has been hard to keep. It helps that it's winter, and my apartment is dry as a bone I guess. We should really get these guys more abundant.

i here they are hard to breed. i dont have any adults tho.

That seems kind of cramped for molting to adult.

Does anyone else's mendicas flap their wings like crazy around 1am?
Yeah, bigger is always better, but a Exo Terra for each one is kind of costly, just saying what can be done on a limited budget, Mendica rarly are over 3 inches at adult more like 2.5 in(less for males) so its plenty of room, but if you have larger containers I would use them.

nick did you breed them?
No, I didn't judge correctly on how long the females would take to get to adult compaired to the males, so it's a all girl party here with the mendica, you live and learn. ^_^