Boo-yah!!! Hymenopus hatchlings

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mister B

Reaction score
I almost pooped my pants when I came home yesterday haha.....

IMG_0740.jpg

There's at least 50 of them....

IMG_0741.jpg

And one of mom....

IMG_0695.jpg

Would anyone believe me if I said this is my first ooth ever haha? I've gotten the Chinese ooths from the garden centers and nurseries when I was a kid, but this is the first mantis species I've ever grown up, mated, gotten viable ooths from and actually had them hatch. I'll admit though I don't really post much at all on this forum, I read through it quite often and I don't think I would have gotten this far without all the information given out on this site. So thanks to you all for indirectly helping me succeed haha! Quick question, I offered a few of them D. hydei and most either ignored them or batted them away.....should I switch over to D. melanos or are they just not hungry yet? Thanks in advance!

Brian

:clap: Nice job;) ....I'm glad to see this specie is really taking off! And they arent hungry, they just hatched and probably won't be hungry for another day...

All the best,

Andrew

give them mels first, but give them a good day and a half to dry out, mist twice a day and move them out of the small cup as they will wear theirselfs out in there.

Since so many people are getting these, I hope they go down in cost soon. The first person to sell these between $8-10 gets my business.
Maybe you should just buy your mantis at Walmart, they'll have these for you nice and cheap right next to the everything is free Isle! If you ever bred anything worth while you would understand better? Hey I know, if anyone will sell me gasoline for a dollar a gallon I'll fill up at your pump?!?! :lol:

Maybe you should just buy your mantis at Walmart, they'll have these for you nice and cheap right next to the everything is free Isle! If you ever bred anything worth while you would understand better? Hey I know, if anyone will sell me gasoline for a dollar a gallon I'll fill up at your pump?!?! :lol:
I'm not in any rush to get them. It's inevitable, barring parasites or some other shortage, that the prices will go down. Every sale that you make is a new breeder competing for your sales down the road.

True very true! And the male I sent him made this all happen ;) , but I would still pay $15+ for the babies, but thats just me. Breeders of rare(or semi-rare) species should see some fruits from their labor, not get low balled to death.

True very true! And the male I sent him made this all happen ;) , but I would still pay $15+ for the babies, but thats just me. Breeders of rare(or semi-rare) species should see some fruits from their labor, not get low balled to death.
I agree. If I ever get a rare species I'd want the same.

I just don't buy rare species while they're rare. I wait for them to get more common and cheaper.

Last edited by a moderator:
Consider this as well, this hobby is growing therefor increasing demand so even if they become more regularly bred they price will not drop while they remain in constant demand, nor should it because a value set on them and their rarity is one reason they stay saught after. They nearly disapeared before for and one reason was they were common and cheap noone continued to breed them though. The price isnt likely to drop anytime soon. The demand will be there as long as the hobby grows and as long as threads like this stay full of people inquiring about sales instead of just gongratulating someone on a success.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts