Boxelder Feeder Bug?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They put off a stink, don't they?. They are also marked to say "stay away" with that red. It may be an "acquired" taste, but you have to try it once to acquire a taste for it in the first place. Give it a try.

Mantids are not deterred by the smell nor taste. I have witnessed many a mantid feeding on them in the wild. I think it's defensive mechanism work best with birds, mammals, and reptiles.

Mantids can eat more than people give them credit for. Remember they eat monarchs and those are highly toxic. That being said just because they can eat it doesn't mean they WILL eat it.

Hey,

u can feed pretty much to your mantis... if she catch it herself she know what to do

I often feed spiders, so i dont think that Boisea sp. are a problem =P

best regards

This little budwing is ferocious. She actually went after it. Didn't wait for it to crawl by like my old Chinese mantis. she made short time of the boxelder bug. She loved it. Can't wait to be able to catch more outside when it gets warm out.

Yea Parasphendale are really aggressive :devil:

When they adult they eat phasmids which are much biger then them

6220832184_1a044dee07_b.jpg

best regards

Last edited by a moderator:
Good to know as the side of my house is absolutely overrun with these in the spring. Can't wait till I can catch a gazillion bugs to feed everyone when it gets warmer!

Found one of these in the house yesterday (it is end of January and still not much sign of winter here). Anyway My C. pictipennis was the lucky recipient. She tends to be the right size for experimental offerings in my bunch and she enthusiastically has hunted, killed and eaten everything... Till now. She chewed on it a little and dropped it. If Kali ain't eating it, ain't nobody eating it. Darn, I get millions in the spring.

Yeah - none of mine would touch them. And the Boxelders are pretty fierce themselves - at least towards prey items,

I had intended to smash the next one I found, and see if my Idolos would eat the mushy remains, but I didn't see another one for the rest of the season.

Boxelder bugs just eat plants and female boxelder tree seed pods. If they are a problem you can find the tree in your neighborhood and chop it down. I use to feed them to spiders around my house.

Yeah - they never messed with ME, but they were brutally attacking some other prey items I was collecting (I think it was a moth). Pretty frightening.

Latest posts