Breathing mantid

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How do mantids breath or get oxygen? :huh:
If you look on top sides of your mantid's abdomen you will a row of dots on each side (may or may not be colored). These are called spiracles and basically each is a breathing hole for the mantis. I know, its odd knowing insects breath though multiple (often more than 6) "holes" in their body! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I learned in Science class that insects breathe through their trachea I think. I learned it like 3 years ago so I'm not sure. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Yeah, try not to drown them if you decide to wash them.
you jest, but when i was 2 i decided to wash one of the chicks we had in the house. i even used shampoo. it died during the wash <_< :(

i cant really remember (almost 20 years ago! and i was only two) whether it was very hot or cold but i doubt it as i had my hands in with it. i assume it must've suffocated somehow, maybe all the foam from the shampoo got into its nasal passages, or maybe it swallowed some, or maybe i was just too rough with it? or like you say maybe i held it under water for too long or something. :mellow: :unsure: :( anyway off topic, sorry!

you jest, but when i was 2 i decided to wash one of the chicks we had in the house. i even used shampoo. it died during the wash <_< :(
You noted that the thing dies during the wash process rather than afterwards. This tells me that it died rather suddenly instead of through suffering caused by contact with shampoo or even water temerature. My bet is that being washed by a two year old was traumatic for the poor thing to the point of heart attack. Needless to say you have had that on your hands for your whole life. Must be heard to sleep at night huh :p . On the other hand you gave a chick a bath when you were two .....Lucky..... I had to wait till I was an adult before I got to give a chick a bath. ;)