Breeding bluebottles

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhilinYuma

Reaction score
Kova

Well, I tried to find my topic on raising houseflies in a 12" net cube, but I couldn't find it, so here's a new thread.

Brian's bluebottle pupae eclosed to give a cube full of blue, shiny flies. I wanted to breed them, but I know that, unlike houseflies, they need decaying flesh to get them to lay. their eggs. If you come from a good Jewish family, you probably keep a pot of frozen chicken livers in the back of the freezer for those days when you just have to have chopped liver. I decided that a few ounces of rotting chicken liver would probably do the trick, so I liquifed a couple of livers in a spice grinder (you can easily clean the grinder afterwards by putting some chunks of dry bread in it and grinding away -- works like a charm).

I used the same food that I make up for the houseflies. The proportions don't have to be exact, but four cups of ground dog food, 1cup of casein and one cup of brewer's yeast -- I see that Rebecca is selling it at a good price now at MantisPlace -- and two teaspoons of Paraben, if i feel like it (I think that the maggots are large enough to eat any mold before it can eat them). I usually add the dry dog/cat food powder in an equal volume of boiling or very hot water, stir it up and then add the other two ingredients as it cools. I doubt that boiling water would be good for the casein. I then add more warm water until it is the consistency of thick mud and stir in two handfuls of wood shavings, currently T-Rex Aspen bed, which is a herp substrate. The mixture is then placed in 1.5L oblong Rubbermaid containers, half filling them.

I would give this to houseflies as-is, but for the blue bottles, I made a depression in the surface and put in about 11/2 ozs of the pureed chicken liver before putting it in the cube. I had found a spot (it is much too hot outside, still over 100F) where a little bad smell would do no harm and left them to it. It still didn't smell bad, even after two days though, so I tried to find something else to use. I'll make my fish stick episode brief. I don't eat these things, but i had a few seriously old ones in the freezer and cut a couple in half lengthwise, sprinkled meat tenderizer on them - "tenderizing" is a nice word for "rotting" -- moistened them and put them in a bag in the sun to turn nasty. I set up the chicken liver food on the 30th, so this was about a week ago, and the pieces still smell as fresh as ever they did. They must be one part fish parts to nine parts preservative!

It turned out that the bluebottles had a better sense of smell than I, and when I pulled the box out on about the 3rd, I found it absolutely full of tiny maggots. I made up four more pots of food, without the chicken liver and shoveled the happy maggots in. Today, the maggots in three of the pots (I must have left too many in the last one and they need more food) have started to pupate. Yay. I'll refrigerate some and let the others eclose normally. I let you know when the "happy event" occurs!
tongue.gif
laugh.gif
biggrin.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Help me! Help me! Oh, do I have a breeding problem with my bluebottles!

As noted above, I set up one box containing just under 1l of wet food on 083010. It was infested with maggots and removed from the cube on 090310 and divided into 4 pots with the addition of new food. By the 9th, some of the maggots had pupated, and I had enough by the 10th to place the pupae, handfuls of them, into two separate containers, one of which was covered and placed in the fridge. Two of the remaining four boxes had more food added for the remaining maggots and were placed in a plastic shoe box with an inverted box on top. The second container full of pupae, was placed in a cube -- I have learned my lesson after Phil's Phamous Phly Phlustercluck in which I allowed fly pupae to eclose outside of a cage and fill my apt!

I realized that I had made a mistake with the two shoe boxes when I saw maggots on the top of the inverted box. Maggots only migrate from their food source if they are imperiled, either by the addition of water or by the gases emitted by anaerobic bacteria. Sure 'nuff, when I cautiously lifted the inverted box, I was hit by a really nasty odor, so once again, I have learned the importance of good ventilation when raising flies, to prevent anaerobic bacteria from thriving and the foul smells that they create.

Now for the problem. I just went to check the cube containing the pupae and it is black, or blue black with eclosed blue bottles and I am quite sure that these are only from the first laid eggs. I have counted dead flies in the past and have no doubt that I now have at least several thousand pupae which will eclose over the next few weeks. What do I do with them? I'm afraid that if i ship them they will eclose in transit, and if I sent them to a friend for resale, she would have to separate them from a fair amount of substrate for resale.

I was interested to see that my first post in this thread got no response at all (except from Hibiscusmile
laugh.gif
), even though I assured you all that this culture method is NOT accompanied by an offensive smell if you avoind anaerobic conditions. I must say that i shall have very little sympathy for folks worried about having no live food readily available in winter in the future! I'll also make an offer. If anyone offers, (up to five members), in this thread, to try this method, and encloses their snail mail addy in a p.m. I will send you enough of the dry sample to try the method out for yourself, complete with written instructions. You in return, must report your results on the thread. And please don't p.m. me and offer to "help me out" by "accepting" free pupae (yep, it's happened :D ).

Good luck to me. Good luck to you!

If they can be outside in about 70 to 85f i will try this method in my backyard.

I've bred house flies with dead bodies of other house flies mixed with water. Maggots will be everywhere in just a week.

I had this all happen in a 32 ounce deli cup with a cloth lid.

It does smell horrible though lol.

Hey Phil, I thought you used flaxseed oil in your recipe????

I'm making some of the stuff above, only no meat since these are house flies. I have 200 grams ready to hatch in a screen cage with this media.

Latest posts