Bugatorium

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rebecca, one day a while back when I was bored, I read through this entire thread. It's great seeing your setup. I wish mine would all fit in one room. Anyway, a while back you started a new thread and made a comment about your wahlbergii ooths not hatching and you weren't certain of the origin of your stock. If you read back through your thread around January 2012, you made a comment about purchasing some ooths.... Just an FYI.

Pics of your mantids too! Fuzzy is cute, but he's not a mantid! :D C'mon, Rebecca! :)

Edit: At least I hope Fuzzy is not a mantid! :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Rebecca,

I have a couple of questions regarding your wonderfully decorated enclosures.

When you have a lot of plants, etc in your enclosures, is it harder for the mantids to find the food? I used to have more branches and twigs etc but I thought the mantids were not finding the food as well, so now my containers are pretty basic with just a couple of branches to climb and molt. However, maybe I was just being too worried and they will eventually find the food when they want it.

Do you also find it harder to clean with the plants and leaves, etc.?

Because you are in a business with tons of mantids to take care of, I'm sure time and efficiency is key so I'm sure you have all this totally down to a science. So I would greatly appreciate any comments you have to maintaining your bugatorium.

Oh, another question regarding all the different Mantid Mansions you carry. For adult species like Sphdromantis, Chinese, etc that are on the large size, is there one particular container that you like the best. You have the large hex, large round, large cave and I'm just a little confused on what is best. I plan on giving quite a few praying mantis pets to the kids in my son's class for Christmas so wanted something nice but economical.

Just placed my first order with your company so looking forward to future business with you. Thanks so much for all the helpful information you post and your bugatorium is totally awesome. It must take many hours each day just misting and feeding and I can't even imagine the cleaning.

Rebecca has done so much foot work and helped this hobby along for so long, we all mostly owe her, even if you didn't know it or ever bought from her, Awesome thread!

You got that Agent A! when the doorbell rings, beware of owner, forget the dog!

thanks Nick! u a sweetie too!

well, I like the med round the best, it seems to house a lot of large mantis, like the sheild and still give s them room to move around. I have no problem cleaning the containers, and the science behind it now, is I do not even most times have to remove the mantis to do that, sometimes they get a little water too, but my feeder hole is also my cleaning hole, I take it to the slop sink, and run nice warm water in it and unless it has nasty runny poop (frass) I don't use soap. The water just runs out the hole and wala! all done! now I have to delete all of you, since u now know my secret. As to the leaves , I keep the floor clean and most crickets and roaches have no where to hide, the cricks will climb, but for the most part they seem to see them just fine, when I first started, I was so freaked that the cricket would get the mantis that it tood 3 to 5 hours to feed, now with around 5000 mantis underfoot, it is an hour and a half to two, much easier as all is as u said down to a science, I am still learning new things though. The flies go in fruit fly bottles which fit in the feeder holes and I just tap it to remove the flies from the lid and stick it in the hole, works fine, only with this many I have to use a quart pop bottle to put flies in, I go thru about 2000 flies a day and usually only lose a dozen if that. Grannyma tired!!! Fuzzy tuesday is morrow, if I can I will take pic for you guys while he feeds the crickets!

Latest posts