Can I store houseflies or bluebottles in the fridge?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I let more flies hatch that my mantises could eat in a couple days (let them hatch in their own deli cup, not in the mantis enclosures). I've been putting the cups in the fridge to slow the flies down when I feed them to the mantises, but I was wondering if I could just let a bunch hatch and them keep them in the fridge all the time. Will they survive? I have a hard time getting pupae to hatch in a consistent time, so sometimes I have lots of flies, and sometimes none. I figured if I could let them all hatch and then just store them, then I'd have a steady supply.

When I have more than I can use right away, I keep them in dorm frig with few hours warm up each day. With food and water they can stay alive for 2 weeks or so. I did find it better to hatch all within 2 weeks or so of arrival. After 3 weeks for me very few hatched.

So yeah  what crabbypatty said.

Now that fly season is back here in Arkansas, I just open the door outside a few hours and start my catching. Could build a trap but don't need that many and this gives the old man some exercise in a Zen like way. Best catch so far is 3 at once. Into the little habitats I no longer need for mantis and into the frig.