Carpenter Ants

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it is not a good idea to feed mantids ants because some have formic acid in there abdomens which can kill mantids. also they can and will deliver a maiming if not deadly bite.

The carpenters are up in the mountains. I have to settle for the smaller grey field ant down in the valley.

it is not a good idea to feed mantids ants because some have formic acid in there abdomens which can kill mantids. also they can and will deliver a maiming if not deadly bite.
Carpenter ants have NO formic acid and there are a few spp with smaller mandibles which I use as opposed to the stronger biters. I've tested it and it works just fine, no problems. Use the right type of ant though.

Carpenter ants have NO formic acid
Are you sure about that? http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7416.html

Personally, I won't feed ants to my mantids as there are always safer/easier options. If I run out of flies, simply turning on the porch light usually yields tasty flying options. Otherwise if that's not an option (e.g. winter) I can resort to worms and crickets from the local pet store. Thus far flies have been my mantids primary diet and it's been super easy and inexpensive to order fly pupae online from any number of our established breeders or forum regulars.

Then again these ants are free and easy to find. And none of my mantids have died from them. The main purpose of them is wintertime. Crix are bad during molting (leg loss).

You are right about the formic acid though. My bad. :helpsmilie: I didn't know the workers had formic acid.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts