Chameleons

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pohchunyee

Reaction score
Here are my prized posession, Chameleons!!!!

Rekka1Year5Months04.jpg

IMG_1819.jpg

IMG_1413.jpg

IMG_2134.jpg

DSC00330.jpg

DSC00345.jpg

IMG_0278.jpg

IMG_1216.jpg

Absolutely stunning!

I wish I had the devotion and money to accommodate such lizards... Mantids and Chameleons were always my favorite animals!

Thats a nice panther you have and i like the blue coloring on the veiled. I want a male bad, but unfortunately im trying to get out of chameleons.

I am totally broke because of them!!!!
They become expensive. I payed about 200$ for my custom cage i built. Here is the picture.

2008_0427Chris0002.jpg

I was gonna use that cage for mantids, but i would rather sell it.

It has a drain, all screen, the back is a rock wall with embedded driftwood, has vines, plants, dripper, uv light, heat etc.

2008_0427Chris0001-1.jpg

I have wanted to get one for awhile now. Probably just a veiled. How are they to keep? Difficult?

They are not that hard to keep, they need humidity, heat, food, UV light, a cage, some life plants, some branches.....and tons of love for them. Almost the same as mantis, however everything have to be bigger.

I picked up a female veiled for thirty bucks at a local exotics show (Oregon) in February. I raise roaches and aside from the unnecessary $135 I just spent on a huge cage from screenedcages.com, the pet chameleon is cost-free. Even at pet stores the young usually sell for $35 to $40. I'm looking for a male too (though not hard enough to actually find one yet).

The chameleon is definitely the show-stealer at our house!

So, raise a good feeder roach species and all you have are the initial costs for animal, feeders and cage. Cages can be found for almost nothing at garage sales, craigslist.com, etc. this time of year.

If you are breeding chameleon, you would have to breed a lot of food; fruitflies, cricket, roaches, wormsa etc..... I just don't have time, so I buy them....thats why they are costly

I have colonies of two feeder roach species that take absolutely no time at all to maintain and they produce many more roaches than my chameleon could eat by itself. I simply drop bits of left over food in my roach tanks and they eat it up. My chameleon is fat and happy and it doesn't cost me an extra penny to maintain the roaches (and less food goes to waste in my home).

Latest posts