Cheap and easy to make cage (MUST SEE!)

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minard734

Reaction score
O.K. so this is quite a simple cage to make.... Came up with it myself I call it a bottle cage. Here is how it's done:

1.png

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2.png

3.png

4.png

And THIS is what you get in the end:

DSCF0003.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
you can also make them out of puppy pad boxes with screen glued to the front for a window as well or other cardboard boxes or tupperware containers!

Yes! I even use those plastic ice cream tubs (modified) and other such things. Cups with cloth rubber banded to them works well for small nymphs also :p .

And that is how you will end.....

P1100833.jpg

I am using sheets of cork instead of twigs.

Looks a bit like my chaos, Nico, but are you living in an ambient humidity of 85% or is that in some kind of enclosure or dedicated room? What are you using to get the humidity that high?

Awesome idea and diagrams. The only thing that would worry me is that I would go to take the top off, roll the rubber band up and the mantis would get squished between the rubber band and the netting. I use plastic storage containers, plastic mesh, hot glue and foam for all my enclosures. Its cheap and effective.

Want to make your life MUCH easier? Cut a small hole in the side and block it with a foam plug. I like those small foam plugs used for fruit fly vials. This way you don't have to remove the top. Mantids will spend most of their time on the top so this makes feeding much easier. I do that for my 32 oz containers.

Latest posts