Chinese Mantis Hatch!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

River Dane

Reaction score
I woke up today, and as usual, checked my mantis hatching habitat, which I got from my local garden center. Super excited to see that they hatched! I released over half of them into the garden, so that’s why there’s not that many in the pic below. I won’t name any yet, because I heard they have a high mortality rate up until L4(?)

Anyway, I’m super excited. It’s pretty cool, too, because April 15-16th, 2017, was the date I found my and raised my first mantis, also a Chinese mantis, named Mandarin. I’m not entirely sure if I found him on the 15th or 16th, because I’m going by the date on the day I took his picture. The first picture was taken on the 16th, although I’m not sure if that was the first day I got him. Doesn’t matter that much, though. How the 15th and 16th are very special mantis-days to me, now!

BEB1254_A-3822-4_EC2-_A285-78_D4_B27_D35_A1.jpg

I’ll get macro photos up later, my phone’s dead.

Cute photos, and congratulations on the hatch!  It is cool how the dates lined up.  Some of your photos aren't visible though by the way.

@Ocelotbren thanks! Yeah, it was pretty exciting when I realized that. They also came from the same garden center (they release their mantids into their stock in place of pesticide).

Thanks for telling me. Can you see them, now?

@Serle Thanks! And you’re right.  :p  Anyone can use them if they want, I know they’re not the best, though.

@Little Mantis Thanks! They like crawling to the tops, so that makes it easier to ‘macro’ them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool post Dane, thanks for sharing =)

The Chinese were my first as well and will always have a special place in my heart.  You are right about the high mortality in early instars.  Best thing to do is separate the ones you want to keep as soon as possible.  Here are the key things that give me the highest success with the chinese nymphs:

1. papertowel at the bottom, coarse material at the top to hang/molt

2. misting at least once a day, but enough ventilation so that droplets dry up in 30-45 minutes.

3. feed every 2 days at least, never 3.  Check them on non feeding days for random starvers.

Congrats!

@TheShadyMantid Thanks!

They’re definitely great mantises, no matter your level of experience. This is the first time I’ve seen any since my first one, though, so I’m super happy to have some again.

And thanks for the advice! I’ll separate and feed them tomorrow morning. 

Thanks for helping me with the pictures, @Ocelotbren

I did exactly what I told myself not to: I picked a favorite. 

4_E3_D82_D8-166_D-4_F7_D-_B0_AC-_AF5_B10_CF25_B4.jpg

He’s just so docile! 

Unfortunately, this one and maybe 1 or 2 others can stay. I overestimated their feisty-ness. They seem scared of the hydei fruit flies I offered them, and I can’t get melanogaster until next week. So it looks like I’ll have to release them all until they’re a bit bigger. There are fungus gnats and aphids outside, but only enough for me to feed 2-3 nymphs. It’s alright, though, I don’t have enough habitats for them all, anyway.

No problem!  Aw, that one is cute.  If they just hatched yesterday, is it possible they still need another day before they're ready to eat?  I haven't had L1s myself before but I had heard that they could take D. hydei.  You could always try waiting another day to see if they'll tackle them tomorrow, before releasing them all.  But I don't have experience with it myself so it's just an idea.  Some chain pet stores also carry D. melanogaster if you have any near you.

@Ocelotbren Oops, I wish I had seen this comment before. I already released most of them.  :(  There is a PetCo near me, but their flies are out of stock here. Won’t come in until next week. They’re also a little too $$$. It doesn’t help that a I just bought a tree.

I still have several, so I’ll try feeding them tomorrow, and if they accept the food, I’ll play a little game of ‘mantis scavenger hunt’ in the garden.

Unfortunately, I’m not the only one who hunts for mantids. Pro tip: if two bugs are housed next to each other, make sure their habitats are securely closed.  :unsure:

8_BC7_D8_B2-_B508-4_F7_F-8_B34-4_E1_EAE79_EB99.jpg

Congrats on the mantis hatch!

Chinese mantises are awesome!  I can't wait for my Chinese ootheca to hatch.

Chinese mantis nymphs usually don't eat for the first day or so. And even if you release a bunch of them you can always try to find some of them later and take them back in if they stay in the garden or place you let them go if you wanted more.

Love the cute pictures! :D

Good luck with your nymphs!

@Mystymantis Thanks! They are a great species. Good luck with your ooth, I hope it hatches soon!

Yeah, I’ll try feeding them again today, and if they eat, I’ll see if I can bring some back into the safety of the indoors. I’ve been worried about them, the Santa Ana Winds are kicking up again. 

Thanks!

@Ocelotbren Yeah. I’ve been checking in on some of them over the last several days, and most of them are still in the same spot. They’re thirsty, though, it’s been dry and windy.

Latest posts