Choeradodis columbica Peruvian/Columbian Shield Mantis

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.Mantid

Reaction score
Greetings Fellow U.S. Mantis Handlers,

Does anyone currently raise this type of mantis? Not that I'm interested in the moment, but I'd like to get an idea of who I can get these little critters from once I go through a breeding cycle of the mantids I currently own.

Thanks for the help and Cheers!

Mr. Mantid

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, since they are Peruvian, I guess that you could try MantisdePeru. I see that his name has been checked on the members' list five times this year alone!

[Falls backwards off chair, screaming with laughter and scaring the dog.]

Wow that mantis has stubby little legs for how big it is?

P.S.- That's a nice way to stress a mantis out and short'n it's life, playing is one thing but that is borderline mistreatment. :(

I do believe crisp does have these but from what I he told me about these some time ago is he had to go get them from south america or someplace I cant remember and they were not cheap as he paid I think 400 dollars for them!

P.S.- That's a nice way to stress a mantis out and short'n it's life, playing is one thing but that is borderline mistreatment. :(
Thats not stressing it or mistreating it at all, not damaging the mantis, just provoking it to get get it to show its defensive behaviour.

I belive there is a Choeradodis Sp. here at the south of Mexico..... but no one here has it for breeding. I read somewhere that it is hard to find,......

I have been to Peru in the lower Amazon several times and never seen one, but then it' is like looking for a needle in a very huge haystack. :blink:

You and I are in the minority on this, I think, but you are still right. It is a commonplace for both "caring" hobbyists and "uncaring" scientists (I was reminded earlier, by a post of Peter J.F., that an aversive reaction by mantids to flies can be induced in the lab by zapping the mantids with an electric shock every time they strike at one.. Now that is stress!). And yes, the life of insects. like that of humans, is shortened by stress, whether or not the subject is physically injured.

@Morpheus: If you were cornered in an alley and threatened by a couple of giant yobboes, wouldn't you feel just the tiniest bit stressed, even if they didn't actually tear your head off?

As to whether the behavior shown here borders on "mistreatment' or not, it is worth remembering that the author of this clip was banned from this site for lying to and cheating members here, so I don't think that he would worry unduly about a little mantis mistreatment.

Addendum: Before some well-meaning member suggests that stress is an emotional response to a perceived threat, I'll point out that I am referring to the biological concept pioneered by Selye, long ago. In this context, our mantis would first perceive a threat to its life and react with alarm that would be manifested by a "flight or fight" response. The former is less stressful since the mantis (as happens with nymphs) would either run for cover and escape or get killed in fairly short order.

If the response is resistance, the mantis may still escape or be killed, but prolonged resistance without either outcome will end in exhaustion, and in the case demonstrated here, the stress can be continued indefinitely or until the tormentor becomes bored or the mantis is too exhausted to defend itself any longer. Yep, that will shorten its life all right.

Hi

Finally. According to the updated IGM number list, since many years they are back in stock again, at least C. rhombicollis from Ecuador.

regards

Well, since they are Peruvian, I guess that you could try MantisdePeru. I see that his name has been checked on the members' list five times this year alone!

[Falls backwards off chair, screaming with laughter and scaring the dog.]
Ah I see he is the infamous conman.

You and I are in the minority on this, I think, but you are still right. It is a commonplace for both "caring" hobbyists and "uncaring" scientists (I was reminded earlier, by a post of Peter J.F., that an aversive reaction by mantids to flies can be induced in the lab by zapping the mantids with an electric shock every time they strike at one.. Now that is stress!). And yes, the life of insects. like that of humans, is shortened by stress, whether or not the subject is physically injured.

@Morpheus: If you were cornered in an alley and threatened by a couple of giant yobboes, wouldn't you feel just the tiniest bit stressed, even if they didn't actually tear your head off?

As to whether the behavior shown here borders on "mistreatment' or not, it is worth remembering that the author of this clip was banned from this site for lying to and cheating members here, so I don't think that he would worry unduly about a little mantis mistreatment.

Addendum: Before some well-meaning member suggests that stress is an emotional response to a perceived threat, I'll point out that I am referring to the biological concept pioneered by Selye, long ago. In this context, our mantis would first perceive a threat to its life and react with alarm that would be manifested by a "flight or fight" response. The former is less stressful since the mantis (as happens with nymphs) would either run for cover and escape or get killed in fairly short order.

If the response is resistance, the mantis may still escape or be killed, but prolonged resistance without either outcome will end in exhaustion, and in the case demonstrated here, the stress can be continued indefinitely or until the tormentor becomes bored or the mantis is too exhausted to defend itself any longer. Yep, that will shorten its life all right.
Wait a minute, the youtube video I posted was from THE Christain Fernando aka'd Mantis De Peru? Ah man thats crazy. If I had known it was from him I would have used a different youtube video.

Wait a minute, the youtube video I posted was from THE Christain Fernando aka'd Mantis De Peru? Ah man thats crazy. If I had known it was from him I would have used a different youtube video.
Upon viewing the clip again, I noticed the Youtube users name is mantiddeperu, now that should have given it away. :blink:

The infamous MdP did have some positive transactions over the years, but to get back to topic, I saw this species (or something quite similar) at the Victoria Bugzoo (British Columbia, Canada) a couple summers ago. Carol, the owner, collected them herself in "the Amazon". She may still have them in culture.

Latest posts