Clay in enclosure

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lylelovett666

Reaction score
Howdy,

I'm thinking of using clay in my enclosure to give a little topography to my mantis enclosure and was wondering if this would create moisture problems.The species is Blue Flash.

For the most part mantids like to just hang out on sticks or on the lid of their enclosure. All the clay would really do is make their home look a bit more "natural" and probably a lot more heavy, I dont think it would hurt anything though. Personaly if I was going to add some topography to my container I would just use potting soil and a few stones. It would most likely weigh less and be cheaper.

Check the contents on the clay. I've used actual Play-Doh in the past (non-toxic, but kinda smelly in it's own way, and it gets ugly very quickly). Depending on how soft it is, I suppose it could be a problem for mantids cleaning it off (and getting mouthful). Should be interesting to see what you do, and how it works out...

I ended up using some kind of made for kids papermache with minimal effects once it was covered with crushed coconut husk.Dried light and fast and should make the installation of fake plants easy.

Latest posts